Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Is 2005 CLK500 has using the same engine with E500?

373 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Mitch Arrow
Hi guys,
I am considering to buy 2005 CLK500 but before buying I have a couple questions.
Thnaks for advance.

• Is that V8 engine same with 2005 E500?
  • CLK500 does have coil springs or airmatic suspension?
  • 2005 CLK 500 engine has including any balance shaft issues or something major problems?
Thanks.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Coupe ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
2,629 Posts
Same engine , coil springs and a normal braking system.
No balance shaft on the M113. engine. It is very reliable , but after 17 years they need routine maintenance to fix minor oil leaks like valve cover gaskets etc. if not already done by the previous owner.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same engine , coil springs and a normal braking system.
No balance shaft on the M113. engine. It is very reliable , but after 17 years they need routine maintenance to fix minor oil leaks like valve cover gaskets etc. if not already done by the previous owner.
Thank you so much for this information. It has only 98k miles and seller is asking $7000. I think it's worth for that price because body and interior condition looks good but I didn't check car yet. My only concern is soft top condition. Is there any routine maintenance for soft top? Like hydrolic oil change time to time or etc.
Thanks.

· Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Coupe ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
2,629 Posts
Personally I have never had a convertible CLK so I have no experience , but from this forum I read of problems with the roof not operating correctly due to electrical sensor issues and or hydraulic oil leaks in the cylinders , also check for the window to material join being good.
No maintenance that I know of.

· Banned
2005 Mercedes CLK320 2008 Mercedes E550 2014 Mercedes E63 AMG
1,183 Posts
Your hydraulic cylinders will all need rebuilt. Over that amount of time, they leak. There is no bisquick or nutty putty repair for these. Simply remove, have rebuilt, reinstall.

No, it is not cheap.

· Registered
2004 clk 500 Cabriolet
2 Posts
Hi guys,
I am considering to buy 2005 CLK500 but before buying I have a couple questions.
Thnaks for advance.

• Is that V8 engine same with 2005 E500?
  • CLK500 does have coil springs or airmatic suspension?
  • 2005 CLK 500 engine has including any balance shaft issues or something major problems?
Thanks.
I have an 04 CLK 500 cabriolet that I bought 6 years ago. I removed the hydraulic cylinders, had them rebuilt, and replaced them myself shortly after I bought it. The rebuilt cylinders ( there are 7) cost me about $1k. It was my first DIY project and was well worth the effort.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 04 CLK 500 cabriolet that I bought 6 years ago. I removed the hydraulic cylinders, had them rebuilt, and replaced them myself shortly after I bought it. The rebuilt cylinders ( there are 7) cost me about $1k. It was my first DIY project and was well worth the effort.
If you have a chanc can you take a picture of those 7 cylinders location? I am going to visualy check.

· Registered
2004 clk 500 Cabriolet
2 Posts
If you have a chanc can you take a picture of those 7 cylinders location? I am going to visualy check.
I don’t have pics but there are plenty on this website. You literally have to remove the back seats and trim pieces in the back to see the cylinders. There is one in the front over the driver and three on each side in the back.
You can determine if any of them are leaking by checking the fluid level in the reservoir behind the driver side panel in the trunk. With the age of your car they all will need to be rebuilt sooner than later and you need to do them all at the same time because of the labor involved.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks
I don’t have pics but there are plenty on this website. You literally have to remove the back seats and trim pieces in the back to see the cylinders. There is one in the front over the driver and three on each side in the back.
You can determine if any of them are leaking by checking the fluid level in the reservoir behind the driver side panel in the trunk. With the age of your car they all will need to be rebuilt sooner than later and you need to do them all at the same time because of the labor involved.
Thanks, I'll visually inspect them as soon as possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts