Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm Not positive all of these are the correct type,but I think so.
The one with the two fellows popping out the top is listed as a Prototype, and it does show some differences. Since they were apparently built in Sweden, maybe it is pictured during
trials in that country.

Attachments

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
P.2.
Added your photo

Attachments

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
U1100 cabriolet (former troop carrier)
74 Posts
Is it me or has the drive train been reversed... That drivers steering wheel seems way too close to the front of this machine to have room for a motor? Exhaust and radiator grills at rear steers me to the same conclusion...food for thought

·
Registered
Unimog S 404.114
919 Posts
guude,

there where a lot of experimental 404 vehicles.
nearly the whole european NATO used the 404,
as SE, DK, NL, BE, FR, GR, PT, AT, DE, TR, (CH);
so it was near to use all equipment as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,574 Posts
Reminds me of Luitenant Gruber from "allo allo" with his little tank :D

·
Registered
1962 404, 1957 405SH and lots of Landrovers
303 Posts
Ok Five Irish Landsverk 405 scout cars are known to survive, in the Muckleburgh Collection, Norfolk (in the lovely sand paintjob above), the Irish National transport Museun in Howth, with the Irish Defence forces in the Curragh (green colour photo) and with 2 private collectors in Ireland.

In order the photos above are;

Irish vehicle in the curragh camp 1973 note the ZC registration plate.
Unknown type with turret probably based on a 404
Irish vehicle in the Curragh camp.
Unknown 404 based rear engined personnel carrier (i have different photos of the same vehicle) with german military registration.
Irish vehicles being fitted out in the Curragh workshops 1973.
Irish vehicle on the IDFs Hino tilt body recovery vehicle. note the gun shield is missing.
Article on the IDF vehicles
Irish vehicle in the Muckleburgh collection, 2 photos
Irish vehicle in the Glen of Imaal
Irish vehicle in store at the Curragh
rear view of a Unknown 405 in the Congo?????? No Irish vehicles served overseas
4 close up colour photos of the Muckleburgh vehicle
B & W prototype 405 with mild steel body
Unknown 405 with tropical camoflage, not Irish

Now having read the attached screen shots it would suggest the Belgium Governmant ordered 24 Landsverk 405 armoured cars for use in the Congo in 1957, 9 were delivered and 15 embargoed. The embargoed 15 and 2 prototype chassis ended up in Ireland. there is one prototype on Norway and a lost one, but more importantly 9 previously unknown vehicles some which of clearly went to a semi tropical climate.

I think its time i translated some documents i have on 405 development to see if it reveals more detail on the total numbers and development.

:mad:

j

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
11,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Good for the additional information.
Yes, from what I read, the Belgians ordered, or copied,
Or built on license, the same type, and some served
In the Congo.
Warm inside, I bet.
The Camo one is from the Congo . I have another
Photo or two of some from there, but they are grainy,
And barely show the vehicle .

So, the Irish only wound up with them because the
Belgian order was subverted , which left a rack of
Them sitting on the dock ?
So, they were a " Belgium type" that became an "Irish
Type," due to the rudementary arms control of the day,
Is that correct?
Not that arms control is much better now.... Or infinitely
Worse, I reckon .

·
Registered
303 Posts
Short history of the "Irish" 405 Armoured cars, though this is changing all the time as more information appears. These are not 404’s they were one of Unimogs designs that didn’t develop into a firm order, lots of armoured vehicles were built on the standard long 404 chassis (including rear engined ones) but these were definitely not. During the mid 1950’s the Austrian Army asked for a rear engined chassis that could be armoured or made into a load carrier. Unimog developed the shortened 405 chassis based on the 404 engine, axles and suspension. Unfortunately the Austrian order fell through in 1957 so Unimog sold the design rights to the 405 to the Swedish arms firm of Landsverk as they now realised any orders would be very small. As part of the agreement Landsverk got the 6 load carrier prototype mules and 15 production chassis, 2 of which had basic armoured bodies. Landswerk in 1959 got a request from the Belgium Colonial Gendarmerie for off road capable armoured vehicles for the Congo, the 15 production chassis were completed and were ready for delivery but the Swedish government embargoed the vehicles. They stayed in Sweden until 1971 when the Irish Defence Forces urgently needed additional armour to patrol the border with N Ireland and bought them at a knock down price. At the last minute a Swedish peace group almost stopped the export as they thought the vehicles were going to the IRA! Once this mis understanding was sorted out a Ministerial level the 15 completed vehicles and 2 prototypes chassis, for parts, were delivered to Dublin in Feb 1972. The 15 armoured cars served until 1984 when they were finally retired, 5 are known to survive along with 405 prototype / load carrier chassis number 3 being discovered in Norway.

Now this doesn't explain the 9 (?) that appeared to have gone to the congo, so did Landsverk use the other 4 protypes and /or convert some 404's as well and are these to congo batch or some of the irish ones???

definately to be continiued.............

:confused:

j

·
Registered
303 Posts
So i have finally got to spend time under the Irish National transport Museums Landsverk 405 and have filled in a few details.

This is the origional 405 prototype chassis with pendant brakes,

This is the later prototype chassis still with pendant pedals;

this is the "production" chassis with the proper steering wheel and hydraulic side mounted brakes and clutch;

Note the cut out for the escape hatch in the floor panel.

This developed into the unarmoured mule (see the other thread for further photos which match the Irish vehicles exactly);

And the proper armoured car which was offered with 6 major weapon systems;

But the only one that sold (eventually) was the basic 4 man armoured personnel carrier to Belgium for use in the Congo;

and in 1971 to the Irish defense forces;

Find attached a selection of photos, i took hundreds so if you want to see a particular area let me know and ill put it up. Every where on the vehicle is standard 404 parts simply modified and reused, dash, levers even the fuel changeover tap modified to be remotely operated by cable.

enjoy

j :nerd

·
Registered
303 Posts
Couple of new photos of the Irish Defense Forces own preserved 405 SH which is supposedly in "full working order"??

:nerd

j

·
Registered
303 Posts
"FCA a cast of thousands" TV program made in 1988 about the Irish Reserve forces (FCA) at about 10.40 there is a selection of scenes showing the Unimog 405 on patrol along with 1930's Landsverk 181's and 1970's Panard armoured cars. And if you don't understand all the commands its because they're in Irish.

https://youtu.be/v3bKPPOwaIU?t=639

:nerd

j

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,072 Posts
Where is this museum? I would like to go there next time I am in Ireland.

Really cool, unique, and well researched posts. Thanks for sharing.

Again, thanks.

C.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Its the Irish National Transport Museum, Howth, just outside Dublin. its has a great collection of weird vehicles, see the website for a full list. But it is run by volunteers so is only open at the weekends as it runs on a very small budget.

www.nationaltransportmuseum.org

:)

j

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,072 Posts
Awesome. Thanks, John. Hopefully later this fall.

C.

·
Registered
303 Posts
So after several years of research, contacting people and organisations all over Europe I now know a lot more about the history of the Landsverk Unimog 405SH's, how they work, their drive train and have ended up owning one!!

I have created a Facebook page documenting my progress rebuilding my 405SH including photos of all the vehicles I've climbed over and under and in service photos of them with the Irish Defense Forces and in the Congo with the Belgium Colonial Gendarmarie.

https://www.facebook.com/Landsverk-Pansarbil-on-Unimog-405SH-Chassis-754940948019737/

To date I've managed to dig out lots of rust, strip armour off the vehicle, unseize the engine and get it running. Currently I'm trying to identify parts for the hydraulic system working the standard 404 clutch, rebuilding lights and guards and chasing down non standard 1950's parts needed for the rebuild.

If you have any questions I will try to answer them. But I will confirm that the transmission is reversed giving permanent front wheel drive with optional all wheel drive and diff lock. The engine is a 90hp high compression M180 unit (full specifications are still unknown), that drives the gearbox "normally" giving it 6 forward and 2 reverse gears. The axle tubes and diffs are flipped up side down to reverse the drive and enable it drive forward, with the portals hanging off them as per 404.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts