Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
C230 Kompressor
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a hardwire solution available for connecting an iPod to the entertainment system on a 05 C230 Kompressor Sedan? I've tried the radio transmitter (iTrip) and am not happy with the sound quality and the background noise (inherent to driving in a big city).

·
Registered
04c230k sport sedan
224 Posts
i would check the archives. i have seen hundreds of threads about this subject but didnt retain any information since i dont have any stock radio equipment. i believe there is an auxillary input in the back of your radio though.

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
unless you have command there is no easy factory set up...and not one that i know of that will give you all of the cool steering wheel contol that they are showing...thats for SELECT 2005s and up comming 2006s, the new ML has a kit....its like $300

iTrip stinks, i use the monster powered antenna kit, with 3 programmable stations, and it powers the iPod...it is $80

now what you can do - and im not too down with this option is...buy the aux port cable...in your owners manual you will see if you hold down CDC for a few seconds AUX will appear in the display...and then look in the glovebox on the passenger door side by the cd tray - there is a little circle knock out - what can happen is you buy a little $30 cable...then remove the head unit, and all of the car components needed (center council trim, glovebox, lower kick panel, etc.) to route the cable to the glovebox from the head unit - go look at a car with comand you will see it there....

then you get a headphone to headphone cable and plug in your iPod...

no power, no controls, and further away that the center armrest (were mine is now....power from rear seats, all iPod stuff in upper area of armrest) but the MB cable it is hard wired...

and with the digital files you still get the LOUD SONGS and then the quiet songs...with the monster unit i find that the sound quality is not too bad, and i can use it in any of my cars....

hope this helps
jake

·
Registered
C230 Coupe; 6 speed
53 Posts
Humm... Are you thinking that the integration kit won't be made available for the C230?

From the MBUSA site: it says "The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will initially be available for the newly redesigned 2006 M-Class SUV. Market availability for additional Model Year 2005 and 2006 Mercedes-Benz vehicles will also follow: C-Class, CLK-Class, E-Class, SLK-Class (vehicles equipped with COMAND system only), R-Class, CLS-Class",

which I read to mean that eventually it would be avail for the 2005 C class ... and looking at the punctuation on that statement, it appears to me that the "with COMAND system only" comment applies to the SLK-Class.

Of course, I haven't yet called the dealer to find out :)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
from what I was told is that COMAND will give you a phone to phone jack in the glove box, but not be a controllable unit like the new M....you control the iPod via the iPod...those without COMAND need to have the aux cable installed and then use the phone to phone jack and are in the same boat as COMAND....

the dealer also told me I was the first and only thus far to ask about it...

share the info... I want mine hardwired too - but I'm not going to rip apart my dash for not total control and integration when this MONSTER unit works really well and I can reach the iPod from the upper center council section....
Jake

·
Registered
C230 Coupe; 6 speed
53 Posts
BF_JC230 - 5/18/2005 2:57 PM

from what I was told is that COMAND will give you a phone to phone jack in the glove box, but not be a controllable unit like the new M....you control the iPod via the iPod...those without COMAND need to have the aux cable installed and then use the phone to phone jack and are in the same boat as COMAND....
Jake
Maybe it's just too early in the morning for me, but now I'm really confused. I'm not sure what you mean by the phone-to-phone jack, and you seem to be saying that if you have COMAND you already have this, and if you get an aux cable installed you accomplish the same thing as COMAND. My understanding (just from reading the MB site) was that the IPOD integration kit involved a docking and charging station in the glove box and a hardware and software connection to the Headunit. There would seem to be NO point to docking it in the glove box if you couldn't control the IPOD thru the audio system controls (since you wouldn't be able to reach the IPOD in the glove box). ...maybe we're talking about two completely different things?

From the MBUSA.com site:
How is the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz different from aftermarket solutions?
The Mercedes-Benz solution is specifically engineered for Mercedes-Benz vehicle systems. This solution provides increased functionality over aftermarket solutions, such as device function manipulation via the multifunction steering wheel controls, and view of the iPod device data on the multifunction display. Because the Mercedes-Benz vehicle systems do not recognize the iPod device as a CD changer component, as in most aftermarket solutions, customers can still use both the CD changer and the iPod device, without sacrificing one for the other.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
right - that's what I wanted was complete control and the cdc...through the wheel and the radio...

dealer said nope - nothing for your car...I was like okay the web site and advertising say that its available for 05 models...they said some 05 models - mainly and I think only the new ML...they pulled out the kit and showed it to me, not for my car, we cross referenced a hu they had and the plugs were not the same...so I was huh - that's lame

the kit was around or above $300 for the ML

now what could happen they said was I could buy the $30 cable....but I would still need to connect the ipod through a headphone cable from radio shack to the aux cable in the glove box - leaving no control for the ipod via the car or really even me...I was like how about that...not even power for the little guy...

then they said that the car has to be torn apart to run the cable from the back of the hu to the glove box...I didn't want COMAND...so I was like get outta here...and there like nope...

so I was - wtf....

then I went to the Mac store and bought the monster unit for $80....

if you or your dealer can figure it out I'm all ears
thanks
Jake

·
Registered
C230 Coupe; 6 speed
53 Posts
Well, THAT's certainly not the story I want to hear! (serious disapointment!) Certainly not what the press they've been putting out on the web site would lead you to believe, huh! I'll let you know when I talk to them. When I last asked, it wasn't out yet and they had NO answers at all. I've been pretty syched up about this, so I'm really hoping that there is an answer. One thing I don't know much about ... it seems that there are two different versions or something of the optical audio/control system ... with the more recent one apearing in some of the '05 model cars. I wonder if that is the issue here?

Also, Alpine makes an integration kit that they say works with "many" head units. You can see it at Tweeter audio centers. I just figured the MB one would be more fully integrated. If MB tells me "no way" (or even if they say "way"), my next stop is to my Tweeter dealer to see what the Alpine unit can do for me.

·
Registered
2005 C class
36 Posts
I went into my dealership last Saturday, and they said that the I pod integration will be available for the 05 c class in august.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Well that's great news!....better news than what I was told a couple weeks ago...

I imagine that is still with need of a stock COMAND unit, or the AUX cable being installed...

I guess it all depends on who is behind the counter...
Jake

1 - 11 of 11 Posts