Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1980 450 SL
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this isn't really an R107-specific question, but I am trying to find a new stereo for my 450SL that meets these criteria:

- iPod-ready with a USB port and in-dash control of the iPod
- colors that match or at least don't jar with the car's other lights and controls
- it doesn't have to look retro, but I don't want it to look flashy in a way that doesn't match the theme of the car

Options seem pretty limited. Pioneer has a unit for $165 at Best Buy with blue OLED lights that has the features I want, but not sure about the lights. Alpine has a $350 or so unit that does what I want, albeit with no CD player in-dash. I don't really care about playing CDs, but it's a bit odd to be unable to. There's also a fancy $650 Pioneer unit with a 7" fold-out LCD, but not only am I worried it would dominate the look of the car, I think it might block the vents and/or be blocked by the dash above the stereo's location.

Wondering if others have had a similar thought process and where it took you. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Wondering if others have had a similar thought process and where it took you. Thanks
I originally looked for a stereo with the features I wanted and yellow/orange lighting to be a better match to the interior of the car, but couldn't find everything I wanted. I wound up with the Pioneer DEHP6900UB. It has an attachment that gives you ipod control, USB input, bluetooth option, satellite radio option, etc. I can turn off all the bling lighting and make it just be a stereo instead of a rolling acid trip.

·
Registered
1980 450 SL
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
While I have my interior apart, it would be a good time to upgrade teh Blaupunkt which has become a bit flaky. Not sure if it is teh volume control or if the speakers are bad, but I get some peculiar vibrations at times.

Someone sent me this link: Onlinecarstereo.Com - Wholesale Car Audio/Stereo Deals At Bargain Prices Lot's to choose from.

Are there any problems with installation of newer radios? For example, the Blaupunkt radios I have are only about 6" deep - is that standard? How about connectors - used MB radios sometimes need a harness plug. My car has no harness, just a few stray wires!

·
Registered
71 280se 3.5 Cab, 06 C230, 06 ML350
628 Posts
What looks good is your call. As for fitting I just did a replacement, Alpine CDA-9887, on the 560 and a standard DIN size fit perfectly. I got a harness from Crutchfield but they don't list one for your car.

·
Registered
1980 450 SL
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't find that Becker in U.S. dollars, and would like to read at least one review of the iPod features before I pay that much. Also, I wanted to go ahead and get something functional. So I installed this:

Pioneer - 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod®/Satellite Radio-Ready CD Deck - DEH-P4000UB

Works great so far, though I question its durability, and obviously the lights don't match.

I plan to buy the Becker in the next year or so as the price comes down, assuming reviews aren't bad for the iPod functions. (I use the iPod 100% of the time, so that's extremely key for me.)

·
Registered
71 280se 3.5 Cab, 06 C230, 06 ML350
628 Posts
It's not for sale in the US. So you'll not have the right radio frequencies (I think we us .5 and the Euros use round numbers e;g 99.5 US and 99.0 Euro land). But since you only use the iPod should not be an issue.

Also did you see this one
Becker Mexico Retro 7948 - Soundlabs Group

or this one
McIntosh | MX406

If you're sending that kind of money anyway.

For the most originality why don't you just use one of those iPod adapters that use either the tape of radio frequency? I've got either for the cost of shipping.

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
I am quite sure that this is not what your looking for, but this is what I did. It works great for me.

I had Becker install an input right into the face of the radio. You can see that it's quite unobtrusive from a distance.

Here is a close-up. The jack is located to the lower right of the left dial.

I simply use the ipod output to the radio jack and then for ipod power I use a cigarette lighter adapter with a usb outlet, and then use my ipod supplied computer cable.

Loren

·
Registered
1980 450 SL
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. The Becker with aux input looks nice.

However, I'm not necessarily going for original here, just want it to mesh with the car's general appearance. I was originally going to get one with an aux input, but while I was nosing around, I realized that there are quite a few now that allow direct control of the iPod via the head unit. The one I installed does that. You plug up the iPod and put it somewhere inconspicuous (some people use the glovebox ... I just leave it under the arm rest), and you can navigate playlists etc via the stereo itself. It also charges the iPod, so I can use the cigarette lighter for my phone instead.

I've already installed that Pioneer, so my seach is over for now, but I may revisit next year with something nicer, such as that Becker if they make a U.S. version for under $500 or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts