Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going to buy a DVD changer to store my music on DVD Audio discs, but than I thought - I probably better get the 80GB Ipod for the money.

But I have AVIC N1 with bad Ipod interface. So may be I will need to upgrade to N3

So if you have any Pioneer AVIC and Ipod - can you comment on your experience ?

·
Registered
2017 VW GTI Autobahn / (Gone) '02 SLK32 AMG
372 Posts
I have the AVIC-N3 w/ iPod & XM adapters. LOVE them both.

The iPod adapter is great except a couple items: 1) once it's playing, you always have to go back to the top menu to select a new tune or artist. 2) It doesn't display the album covers on the AVIC display. 3) I only have the 30G 5th gen and have it close to filled already (Def go with the 80G).

I still highly suggest it.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have to pick an artist from the list of 100 other different ones - does it take long ?

Can you set it to play all song on "Trance" gender shuffled ?

I assume "next track" control on front panel works ?

·
Registered
'01 S500V(sold), '98 SLK230K (sold)
207 Posts
I have the N1, girlfriend has an iPod and my best friend has an ipod video. If you're going to get the 80g video ipod, don't bother wasting your money upgrading to the N3, (and the n3 software won't help the ipod interface, you need the n3 brain with the chip in it for the better ipod interface), go to your local bestbuy and grab a video ipod RCA cable.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10077637&catid=25018

Futureshop here (which is owned by Bestbuy) sells them for $14 canadian. This baby plugs right into your A/V inputs on your brain unit, which i assume you put under the seat like i did. I have my cable wired up and into the centre console box.

What this $14 wonder will do for you is let you play videos and music right off your ipod and on your N1's screen, but also lets you control from the ipod, so you don't have to worry about using the crappy old interface. And at that price it is the best solution. Plus it lets you watch movies from your ipod very easily, which is a plus.

·
Registered
'01 S500V(sold), '98 SLK230K (sold)
207 Posts
You're lucky you have the N3.

If you check out on Avic411.com forums, you'll see how much people with the n1 and n2 HATE the ipod adaptor. You can only really use basic functions ike next track and prev track, it won't grab song titles, nothing. And i believe the n1/2 recognize ipod adaptors as EXT-1. The interface is soooo crappy.

The N3 is better but not perfect. In my opinion, controlling it from the ipod itself is the easiest (and saves me the $50 of getting the adaptor). The ONLY downside (if you consider this a downside) is that you can't use the A/V input for anything else, but my answer to that is, what the hell else would I use it for anyway.

buggin said:
I have the AVIC-N3 w/ iPod & XM adapters. LOVE them both.

The iPod adapter is great except a couple items: 1) once it's playing, you always have to go back to the top menu to select a new tune or artist. 2) It doesn't display the album covers on the AVIC display. 3) I only have the 30G 5th gen and have it close to filled already (Def go with the 80G).

I still highly suggest it.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yosefk said:
You're lucky you have the N3.

If you check out on Avic411.com forums, you'll see how much people with the n1 and n2 HATE the ipod adaptor. You can only really use basic functions ike next track and prev track, it won't grab song titles, nothing. And i believe the n1/2 recognize ipod adaptors as EXT-1. The interface is soooo crappy.

The N3 is better but not perfect. In my opinion, controlling it from the ipod itself is the easiest (and saves me the $50 of getting the adaptor). The ONLY downside (if you consider this a downside) is that you can't use the A/V input for anything else, but my answer to that is, what the hell else would I use it for anyway.

Yeph, I bought the Pioneer adapter from Circuit City for 50$ and 30GB Ipod (going back - will buy 80gb version) I can see ipod as EXT-1, but nice thing - with display closed i can hit "band" button and pick a gender or an artist. Looks like i can set shuffle on Ipod only. But it does work - i can set it to Trance - which i like to listen to when driving SLK and if i don't like a song - i just hit the next track.

I probably going to do the double interface - the RCA cable and Ipod interface - so normaly i will be listening to random tracks with Ipod interface ,if i have to find a special tune - i will turn to RCA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts