Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 ML 350
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to get a refund on the Ipod Integration kit? It simply does not work. Not being able to access playlists or menus ont he ipod renders this kit USELESS. I have left several messages for the dealer but have not heard back yet. I"d be happy just to get the kit cost and eat the installation, it is that bad. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas on this...

n*

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
Ipod Kit refund

WHy don't you return the vehicle and have them replace it if it is not working. You are supposed to have all access to your IPOD so it isn't the kit. Maybe it's your IPOD or something they did when they intstalled the KIT. BTW. the dealer does not warranty any retrofits even if they do them. I know that sucks.. but if this is clearly a kit malfunction, so they should either try another interface, or make good on their installation. What vehicle was it installed in?

·
Registered
2006 ML 350
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea, to be honest I just assumed that was all the functionality that it had. I'm going to bring it in and have them try to fix it, then I will have a more legitmate claim for a refund if they cannot make it work.

The car is a 2006 ML350, and the funny thing is that nobody at the dealer seems to know how the Ipod kit is supposed to work. Most of them don't own an ipod it seems. I would love it if they pulled it out and let me apply that money to Sirius, that is what I really want but at $1200 it is downright ridiculous. Thanks...

n*

·
Registered
4 Posts
Someone else can jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong...but you DO lose control of the iPod interface on the actual iPod while it is plugged in with the integrtaion kit. Mine works the exact same way, so yours is working as expected I believe.

I do agree with you. It really sucks not being able to control the iPod manually with the click-wheel. Navigation of iPod menus through the steering wheel interface and instrument display is almost worthless. The iPod kit feels like it was a solution that was put together at the very last minute.

The only benefit of the integration kit is the quality of sound. I would not do it again if I had the choice.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have a Mercedes iPod kit (not available for a 2004 C240 D2B car), but on my Alpine head-unit (in the same car), you do lose control of the iPod itself. It was the same way on the Dension that I had before I replaced the headunit.

The idea is that the head-unit takes control over the iPod using the dock connector. It sends special commands to the iPod to do this, allowing it to be in complete control of the iPod. It is then up to the head-unit to allow you to pick playlists and make settings.

I've never seen the MB interface, so I can't comment on it. The user-interface on the Dension wasn't so great because it was limited to what the Mercedes CD changer interface was capable of (so, only five playlists, plus one for entering the Dension menu). The Alpine unit has excellent playlist/song selection, including scrolling through the list of playlists (or songs) - but, at the expense of losing steering wheel control integration.

So, I don't think that it's a problem with your iPod kit, it sounds like it's working exactly as designed.

-- Joe

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,537 Posts
Hi ppl I dont' know if it can be helpful but I can give you my experience: I have a Kenwood CD radio unito on my SL 320 R129 and I bought a cable on ebay that connects in the CD changer output of my ragio and has a headphone jack (male) at the other end so you can connect every item that has headphones.
I know it'n not very technological but since I connect my i-Pod mini and my Pocket Pc with GPS capability and my laptop I assure it works.
Just look up in ebay for the suitable cable, plug in the CD changer socket of the radio and you are done and you will spend only 20 buck at worst.
Please tell me if this info is useful.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2005 E320 Sedan
411 Posts
You need to check out another dealer! My dealer installed Sirius in my E320 (2005) for about $600.00 installed...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Knowing what I do know about Mercedes Benz in car audio/sat nav you can assume that it has been badly specified and poorly implemented ;)

I would love to use my iPod in my car, but have not considered the iPod kit or even checked if it is available for me, because I could not face the hassle of trying to get it to work; the endless upgrades to implement non-working features; the poor to non-existent documentation (so that no one knows how it is supposed to work) etc. etc etc.

Mercedes Benz make great cars. The same cannot be said of their so called 'telematics'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts