Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2005 C230 sedan and am in love with the car. I've surfed these forums for a few days trying to get a specific answer to a question so I've decided I should just post the topic and see what happens:

What are my options regarding iPod integration? Does the MB integration kit work? How much is it for parts and install and does it allow me to control the iPod via the steering wheel? Are there other options besides the FM transmitter route (I already have that option and am not all that satisfied).

Thank you.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Your dealer can answer whether your year and model can be fitted with the MB/Apple iPod kit. You can get some cost estimates searching the forum a bit. The MB/Apple kit requires use of a AUX input;if your car has one, it can probably be installed. If not, it cannot. On some cars, folks have discovered how to add an AUX jack. This link could help: iPod Integration on 05 C55 - MBWorld.org Forums - you are easily looking at $800 or better to install the MB unit, if it can be done. The MB unit provides song title readout on the instrument cluster display, but not on the head unit or COMAND screen.

Alternatively, the Dension Gateway 500 does a superb job. It provides iPod, AUX, and USB inputs, converts the signals to light, and inputs them to your head unit via the fiber optics. You do have steering wheel control - different levels, depending on what interface you use. If you have COMAND, you get song title readouts onscreen and a lot of steering wheel control; if not, navigation is more problematic. Dension provides an "iPod" interface that keeps your iPod controls active for scrolling, sorting, and song selection; and in that case, the steering wheel controls are limited to changing volume and skipping to the prior or to the next song. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1319829-gateway-500-most-not-ready-prime-time.html and http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1344772-gateway-500-menus-comand-firmware-2-0x.html#post2596107

The Dension unit also has some interesting add-on options that allow some Bluetooth cellular capability, and voice integration from 3rd party nav systems. A new module will play video from the Gen 6 iPods onto the COMAND screen. The basic unit is around $500, but sometimes available at a discount.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Your dealer can answer whether your year and model can be fitted with the MB/Apple iPod kit. You can get some cost estimates searching the forum a bit. The MB/Apple kit requires use of a AUX input;if your car has one, it can probably be installed. If not, it cannot. On some cars, folks have discovered how to add an AUX jack. This link could help: iPod Integration on 05 C55 - MBWorld.org Forums - you are easily looking at $800 or better to install the MB unit, if it can be done. The MB unit provides song title readout on the instrument cluster display, but not on the head unit or COMAND screen.

Alternatively, the Dension Gateway 500 does a superb job. It provides iPod, AUX, and USB inputs, converts the signals to light, and inputs them to your head unit via the fiber optics. You do have steering wheel control - different levels, depending on what interface you use. If you have COMAND, you get song title readouts onscreen and a lot of steering wheel control; if not, navigation is more problematic. Dension provides an "iPod" interface that keeps your iPod controls active for scrolling, sorting, and song selection; and in that case, the steering wheel controls are limited to changing volume and skipping to the prior or to the next song. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1319829-gateway-500-most-not-ready-prime-time.html and http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1344772-gateway-500-menus-comand-firmware-2-0x.html#post2596107

The Dension unit also has some interesting add-on options that allow some Bluetooth cellular capability, and voice integration from 3rd party nav systems. A new module will play video from the Gen 6 iPods onto the COMAND screen. The basic unit is around $500, but sometimes available at a discount.
Well I was going to suggest the same thing, so ditto on this. I install the Dension units all the time. It's awsome the way they will work. I would go with the Dension for iPod. It is probably one of the best units I've seen out there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts