Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, after I hooked my iPod to the AUX connector in the glovebox (using a $4 stereo cable) I was surprised to find there is no way an iPod will fit in there with the 6-CD changer installed. You can't even close the front panel.

I assume the MB integration kit will need a replacement of the entire glovebox to accomodate an in-wall multi-pin connector and (possibly) a holder for the iPod.

The question is....if the MSRP BEGINS at $299 plus installation, how much will they mark up that price for SLK owners? I'm guessing it will be close to the rip-off price of a Wind Blocker.

BTW. I was amazed at the sound quality and volume you get from the iPod, through the AUX connector. It seems as good as, if not better than the sound from the CD player. Looks like I'm going to have to dig deep to get the integration kit - no matter what it costs!

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well spotted Julian! The hole looks like a logical place for the connector, and the iPod will fit nicely inside the compartment. Too bad that this is the only compartment that won't lock. Perhaps they'll incorporate central locking in the kit.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Essellkay350 - 4/23/2005 1:03 PM

Yesterday, after I hooked my iPod to the AUX connector in the glovebox (using a $4 stereo cable) I was surprised to find there is no way an iPod will fit in there with the 6-CD changer installed. You can't even close the front panel.

I assume the MB integration kit will need a replacement of the entire glovebox to accomodate an in-wall multi-pin connector and (possibly) a holder for the iPod.

The question is....if the MSRP BEGINS at $299 plus installation, how much will they mark up that price for SLK owners? I'm guessing it will be close to the rip-off price of a Wind Blocker.

BTW. I was amazed at the sound quality and volume you get from the iPod, through the AUX connector. It seems as good as, if not better than the sound from the CD player. Looks like I'm going to have to dig deep to get the integration kit - no matter what it costs!
Until the Ipod intergration kit comes through, I am using the Ipod Shuffle instead of my Mini in the car. With a 1' cable you can close the glove box with the Shuffle inside[8D]

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
Essellkay350 - 4/25/2005 11:00 AM
Too bad that this is the only compartment that won't lock.
Bugger, I had always assumed that it locked, but you're right, it doesn't! [:(]

As I only have the Audio 20 system, which doesn't have an AUX port in the glovebox, I've been using an FM transmitter on my iPod, and storing it in that compartment. I've actually left it in there a couple of times while I've been away from the car with the top down for a few minutes minutes! I won't be doing that again. Thanks for pointing out that it doesn't lock!!

Cheers,
---Julian

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
two dogs - 4/24/2005 12:27 AM
Bugger, I had always assumed that it locked, but you're right, it doesn't! [:(]

As I only have the Audio 20 system, which doesn't have an AUX port in the glovebox, I've been using an FM transmitter on my iPod, and storing it in that compartment. I've actually left it in there a couple of times while I've been away from the car with the top down for a few minutes minutes! I won't be doing that again. Thanks for pointing out that it doesn't lock!!

Cheers,
---Julian
I would have thought that that compartment would have automatically locked when the car doors were locked - that's a bit of a glaring miss on MB's part.

Julian - which FM transmitter do you use, and is it any good???

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Hi Julian.... Same question here, which transmitter? and how much does it cost? I am assuming you have to changes songs manually on the iPOD [V]

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
Essellkay350 - 4/24/2005 12:00 AM

Well spotted Julian! The hole looks like a logical place for the connector, and the iPod will fit nicely inside the compartment. Too bad that this is the only compartment that won't lock. Perhaps they'll incorporate central locking in the kit.
The glove box is already linked into central locking. When the car is locked with the key the glove box is also locked.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
dbslk - 5/4/2005 10:03 AM

Essellkay350 - 4/24/2005 12:00 AM

The glove box is already linked into central locking. When the car is locked with the key the glove box is also locked.
But not the up right center compartment. Thats where they think the iPOD will go.

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
Maybe I'm going mad. I thought the iPOD kit went into the Glove Box. MB's literature says that's where it goes.

Right, time to go look at their information again.

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
Right, the iPOD kit *does* go into the Glove Box. From MB's own site:

>>
Simply dock your iPod into the specialized connection in the glovebox and you're ready to go.
<<

Why do people think that it's going in the upright storage compartment?

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
831 Posts
dbslk - 5/4/2005 11:54 AM

>>
Simply dock your iPod into the specialized connection in the glovebox and you're ready to go.
<<

Here's why...

Attachments

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
So the CD changer in my glove box will have to removed in order to utilize the IPOD Integration kit? Only my Ipod Shuffle will fit in my glove box with the CD changer, not my mini.

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
dsb - 5/4/2005 5:24 PM

dbslk - 5/4/2005 11:54 AM

>>
<<

Here's why...
To be honest this picture looks like MB threw something together to prove the point. I doubt they would sit down and decide to put the iPOD as far from the command unit as possible. Cabling would be a nightmare.

The electonic brochure - and in fact everything I have seen and read - clearly states the Glovebox is the destination for the iPOD.

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
malibuite - 5/4/2005 5:37 PM

So the CD changer in my glove box will have to removed in order to utilize the IPOD Integration kit? Only my Ipod Shuffle will fit in my glove box with the CD changer, not my mini.
I haven't seen anything yet to suggest that it will go anywhere other than the Glovebox.

I have just taken a look in my glovebox and there is a huge amount of space under the CD changer. I could even get my old "house brick" style iPod in there. Do you not have this large space under the changer?

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
dbslk - 5/4/2005 12:58 PM

malibuite - 5/4/2005 5:37 PM

I haven't seen anything yet to suggest that it will go anywhere other than the Glovebox.

I have just taken a look in my glovebox and there is a huge amount of space under the CD changer. I could even get my old "house brick" style iPod in there. Do you not have this large space under the changer?
Under It??? No, my changer is jammed in with only a little space available on the right side.

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
Strange. There is obviously a difference between EU and US gloveboxes. I'll charge my digital camera this eve and take a picture and post here.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
I seem to remember from prior posts that the difference is that in the US we have knee airbags that take up the room that is left for more glovespace in the European models...[:0]

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
dbslk - 5/5/2005 7:49 AM
To be honest this picture looks like MB threw something together to prove the point. I doubt they would sit down and decide to put the iPOD as far from the command unit as possible. Cabling would be a nightmare.
dbslk,

Actually, the cabling would be very simple if the iPod was located in the compartment shown in the picture. It only needs to hook into the MOST "ring" (a fibre optic "network"). Now, I don't know if the MOST ring is cabled through the boot (trunk) in all SLKs, but if you've got COMAND (a prerequisite for the iPod integration kit), then you've got the Navigation DVD in the boot, and hence the MOST ring in the boot. If you'd bothered to read my first post (rather than jumping in at the end of the thread), you'd have noticed that I made mention of a "blank" at the rear of the compartment, where a connector could be placed. It's no problem cabling from there into the boot!

Cheers,
---Julian

1 - 20 of 31 Posts