Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an ipod integration kit and am trying to figure out how to take the dash apart.
Was wondering for those that have done the install themselves exactly how does the dash come apart? I'm trying to avoid pulling on panels randomly and breaking clips.

I was trying 1 of 2 options.
1. Remove the glove box and reach the back of the stereo from the side. I can get the left side of the glove box loose but can't figure out the right side.

2. Remove the center dash panel and remove the stereo to access the plug. I can't even figure out where to start to remove the center dash console.

Any help would be appreciated. I would really like to avoid going to the dealer and save myself a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
2006 ML 320 CDI
253 Posts
Hi Bimmer!

Did this last year myself. I ended up searching the internet and found a step by step instruction from a C-Class and used this as a guide.

My experience is that you need to remove both the glove box and the center console. With the center console you have to start by removing the ash tray. It looks rather scary since almost everything is then missing or hanging out, but it not that bad. The hardest part was that I could not remove the radio (Audio 20) to swap the plugs. This means I ended up installing the Ipod kit "by feel" reaching from the front and the side. Definately not the intended way, but I finally got it. (and a lot of cuts and scratches from the sharp plastic pieces.

All in all it took me approximately 5-6 hours. I think broke perhaps one clip, but everything fit back together and no rattels.

·
Registered
2006 C55 AMG and 2007 ML63 AMG
80 Posts
Steve (Austria) said:
Hi Bimmer!

The hardest part was that I could not remove the radio (Audio 20) to swap the plugs. This means I ended up installing the Ipod kit "by feel" reaching from the front and the side. Definately not the intended way, but I finally got it. (and a lot of cuts and scratches from the sharp plastic pieces.
The very first step in the process is the removal of the double vent cover at the top of the center console stack. This must be removed in order to get access to the mounting screws for the audio system, and you can't remove the audio head unit without doing this. Many folks don't realize this.

Removal of the vent cover is tricky, even for those who have done it many times. It requires releasing the "stops" on the horizontal louvres in order to gain access to the torx screws at the rear inside right and left corners of the vent cover. ( I think they might be T10, but I can't recall). Once the torx screws are removed, you must then free the clips along the very top inside right and left of the vent cover, as they must be released in order to slide the vent cover out. It takes two small blade screwdrivers to depress the clips in order to remove the vent cover. One of the mechanics at my local dealership showed me this procedure several years ago, and even though I've done it now a dozen times or more, it's still a major pain in the you know what.

I know that this is not very graphic, and I don't have any pics, but it needs to be done in order to remove the audio head.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone tried placing the new Ipod nano in the ash tray area and just running the cable in the space between trim pieces up to the glove box. I haven't bought one yet, but for a low tech solution it looks like it would fit the space perfectly. The wire could run unseen in the gap between panels to the glovebox jack.

·
Registered
51 Posts
One of the resources I use is startekinfo.com. It's ~$20/ day, but once you figure out the layout it covers the repair/removal of every part of your Mercedes. This is your dealers shop manual and for a few bucks you can have 24 hr. access. One of the things I do when I use it is copy as much as I think I might want to do in the near future. For instance if you know you will do your own brakes you could copy the work description for brake change for future reference. By the way this covers all models back several years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts