Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone that has a Benz and does not want to spend $500 to have your iPod integrated into your audio system. I just finished installing a iDrive in my '06 E350. I tied the unit into the power going to the cigarette lighter, mounted the display (song/title) unit in where the ash tray usually sits, and the control right behind the gear shift on the console.

I will post some pics in a day or two, but it only took me 3 hours and some contorsontions. I only need a star screw driver head to remove 4 screws and drilled 4 holes. 3 holes to mount the display and 1 thru the glove box to run the cables to my iPod which sits in the glove box and the rca cable to the aux input.

Did I tell you I got the iDrive for $27.00 delivered via Amazon?

Happy as a pig in poop:thumbsup::bowdown:

Attachments

·
Registered
910 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey i habe a ml 350 special edition. i just picked it up but i hate using cds, how can i get a direct tap into the system for a plug in for my ipod? any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iDrive

hey i habe a ml 350 special edition. i just picked it up but i hate using cds, how can i get a direct tap into the system for a plug in for my ipod? any suggestions?
If you don't have the aux input, the iDrive has an FM input option. There is antennae input or a fixed FM frequency input. Not sure I would choose either option.

Do you have a tape deck? If so you can use that as the means to connect to the audio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also installed a Drive and Play unit into my '05 SL500. While the older SL Comand systems (through 2004) had an Aux input, the 2005+ MOST-based systems unfortunately do not. Your E320 may be similar, but I can't say for sure.

So I was forced to use the FM modulation approach. I even invested the effort to tear apart most of the back of my car to install the separate direct antenna connection box next to the Comand AGW (Audio Gateway) module that contains the tuner, figuring that this would offer the cleanest FM modulation. (In my SL, the AGW is behind the driver's seat; in the E320 I believe it's in the trunk which would make it much harder to get cables to this direct connection box.)

Unfortunately, the results are pretty disappointing: I hear a lot of distortion mostly with high frequency sounds, and the sound overall is quite muddy vs. the quality I know is coming out of the iPod. Also, when listening to very soft passages (e.g., in classical music), I hear FM interference that seems to slowly grow in volume. It's almost as if the Comand tuner can't properly lock onto the low-volume signal and attempts to compensate by increasing its own sensitivity - which just results in a lot more FM white noise, etc.

I think the Drive and Play would be a wonderful solution for anyone that has a true aux input. It does have a few irritating quirks in its user interface: For example, after listening to an album on a native iPod, pressing 'back' returns you to the Artist menu already positioned to that artist whereas Drive and Play always takes you back to the very beginning of the list. Overall, however, it's about as close to the native iPod interface as you can get... especially when you can now pick them up for under $20 brand-new vs. the original $200 list price.

Rob

PS - I know I could add an aux input with a Dension or Mobridge unit, but I'm planning to ultimately replace the whole Comand APS 2.0 setup with the new Comand NTG 2.5 that's standard in the 2009 and includes the integrated iPod interface...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Outstanding and very helpful post, thank you bluesoft! I recently bought a 2006 E350 without Nav, satellite, Bluetooth, or iPod adapter, and I'm dying. This is the first good option I've seen.

Did you look into trying to power the iCar play without use of the 12V adapter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oops. My E350 does not have a visible Aux input. I read somewhere that there may be one on the back of the MOST box? If not, I guess I'm stuck because I'm not interested in the FM modulator option (loss of frequency response).

I'm assuming there's no way I can use the SAT or phone input options. ::sigh::

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
Check the Dension Gateway 500, the MoBridge, and the iTronics solutions. A quick search will bring up links and information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts