Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
S320W
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Does anyone uses iPod in their W140? I bought one (mini in light green) and so far it has about 500 songs already. I use the cassette adaptor for sound.

If you have one, where do you usually keep it? i was thinking about sticking the already provided holster on near the dash for quick access.

Any thoughts are welcome!

///S320

·
Registered
w140 s300turbodiesel
238 Posts
There's the FM transmitter thingamabob for iPod. That would get rid of the cables. Then you can put it anywhere you well please. Sunglasses holder is a good place.

·
Registered
S320W
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
posix - 2/7/2005 1:09 PM

There's the FM transmitter thingamabob for iPod. That would get rid of the cables. Then you can put it anywhere you well please. Sunglasses holder is a good place.
Yea, i tried the fm transmitter; its not good for a city like chicago where almost entire band on radio is filled with a channel.

Sunglasses holder is kinda far.. i cant navigate quickly..

[8)]

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
My son tried his iPod mini in my W140. He has a cheapo FM transmitter, and as ///S320 indicated, it's over-powered by all the clutter of other stations. I also think that with the antenna in the back of the car, the cheapo FM transmitter doesn't have the power to deliver the signal properly. It sounds crappy.

·
Registered
w140 s300turbodiesel
238 Posts
One of <a href=http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=140984#>these</a>?

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
No, it wasn't one of those, it was a little-known brand he bought from Radio Shack.

·
Registered
S320 (W140), Range Rover Evoque
14 Posts
Griffin's iTrip

Why not try an Griffin's iTrip? What I've heard, they're of pretty good quality.

·
Registered
S500
54 Posts
iPOD Fiend

Because I'm a bit of an iPOD fiend I replaced my head unit for a Alpine CDA 9847R MP3 one. I also ordered the KCA420i iPOD interface. It plugs into the rear of the head unit and is controlled much like a cd changer.
A long dock connector come with it, I've run this under the centre console into the centre storage box, the iPOD plugs in and I can control it from the head unit. An added benefit is that the iPOD is charging whilst it's connected, so when I arrive, remove the iPOD fully charged and away to go.

The advantage of this solution, although expensive, is that there's no messy wires dangling over the dash, it's all hidden away nice and neat.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
I have a USB plug for my iRiver and it works quite well by just plugging into my head unit. However I don't like all the wires so I tend to burn my mp3s to a few CDs.

·
Registered
2000 CLK320 Cabrio, 1999 E320, 1994 S320
171 Posts
I can't decide whether to change head unit or get mp3 adaptor from Bipes(not even sure it will work). I'd rather have a new head unit, but apparently it is near impossible to do an easy swap with the bose system. I want to keep the speakers and amp the way it is, but change out head unit. Is this possible? How did you guys do it?

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,711 Posts
These Mercedes Head units send out speaker level output to the amp. The signal level is about 5v RMS. Any head unit you will buy will have a signal amp level around 1v RMS. You will never get the sound intensity.

What I wanted to do is bypass the WB function and add a 1/8" IPOD jackbutton on the Mercedes Head unit.Tap into the audio signals in the head unit.
I attemted it once, but I failed because of time crunch. I will attempt it later in time again.

Stick with the MP3 Adaptor.

Martin

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Busta Riles said:
I can't decide whether to change head unit or get mp3 adaptor from Bipes(not even sure it will work). I'd rather have a new head unit, but apparently it is near impossible to do an easy swap with the bose system. I want to keep the speakers and amp the way it is, but change out head unit. Is this possible? How did you guys do it?
You can keep the speakers but the amp would have to be changed. I was lucky I didn't have the Bose system I had Balpunkt in my car so it was a bit easier to change out.

·
Registered
1988 BMW 325iC
60 Posts
It seems like it could be wired into the stock headunit. Although I haven't done it, I know that you can wire a sub into a stock headunit with a special inline converter, but then again, it's taking the signal downstream, not inputing a signal.

·
Registered
2000 CLK320 Cabrio, 1999 E320, 1994 S320
171 Posts
I don't mind swapping the amp out, I just don't want to rewire the whole car. Does anyone know of an amp that would work?

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Busta Riles said:
I don't mind swapping the amp out, I just don't want to rewire the whole car. Does anyone know of an amp that would work?
Anything should work as long as the amp is compatible with the head unit, try to stick to the same brands.

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
703 Posts
pweber5 said:
It seems like it could be wired into the stock headunit. Although I haven't done it, I know that you can wire a sub into a stock headunit with a special inline converter, but then again, it's taking the signal downstream, not inputing a signal.
what kind of inline converter is needed? could you link me to this product?

·
Registered
1997 S420, 2000 E320
75 Posts
monster i-cruze

I installed one of these and it works without hissing popping and crackling like all of the other options do. It does take some time and elbow grease to run the wires but worth it. I ran the connector up to the little compartment up above the center vents where the stock phone went.
The i-cruze looks at the first six playlists on your ipod and allows you to change songs through your factory head unit.

I like it. I suggest you look it up. It costs about $80.

·
Registered
1988 BMW 325iC
60 Posts
S320_on_18s said:
what kind of inline converter is needed? could you link me to this product?
I'm not sure exactly what it is. I worked at Circuit City a few years ago and would talk with the car audio guys about some of their new products. One time I was talking about putting a sub in my car without changing the factory head unit, and he said it could be done with an inline converter (as you probably know, normally it's a sub out on the aftermarket head with RCAs that send a signal to the sub). But, since it's sending the signal out from the head, I dont' know if an inline converter could send a signal up to the head.

Maybe if you were to splice into the wires for the CD changer, and wire a switch to switch between the CD changer and the iPod (aux), you could get that setup to work. But I don't know enough about it to say.

If I were you I'd go to a professional car stereo shop and see if they could think something up. This can't be the first time someone's wired an auxilery jack into a stock headunit. If not, hell, try Circuit City--sometimes knowledgable people work there.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts