Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 C350 Coupe, Palladium Silver,
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on TUAW. Sounds pretty sweet, I wonder if anyone here has tried this? I don't have 3.0 because I like the Jailbreak and 3.0 Jailbreak isn't bona-fide yet. I think this option, with a decent car charger would be 100x better than that crappy ipod control on 1st and 2nd gen c300's. With a cradle, you could even watch movies or something (in the back seat of course).

Streaming iPhone via bluetooth in the car

Thoughts?:cool:

·
Registered
'08 C350
87 Posts
This will only work with cars that have the +$2000 UMI. It will not work on the standard MM package because it doesn't support bluetooth music streaming. Even so, you will not be able to watch videos, just music. That being said, for those out there who can actually use BT streaming, this new iphone 3.0 system will be a great upgrade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. I have a 2008 C350. Thanks for the info, this was exactly what I was looking for. Now would you know if there is a tweak or a software upgrade or anything of that sort that would enable bluetooth streaming? Is there a way to find out if such a thing exists. UMI doesnt seem worth for $2000.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,429 Posts
This will only work with cars that have the +$2000 UMI. It will not work on the standard MM package because it doesn't support bluetooth music streaming. Even so, you will not be able to watch videos, just music. That being said, for those out there who can actually use BT streaming, this new iphone 3.0 system will be a great upgrade.
First, this also works with a €680 or so UMI (you can pay more or less for the same device basically). :)

And the new iPhone is no news for those who have the UMI, Audio streaming profile has been supported by most other high end phones from several brands for a long time already. At least iPhone 1.0 was not claimed to be the first product allowing wireless calls. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Diesel, I do know that it does work with the UMI Interface and got it confirmed that it can be installed in the C class, what I was wondering if there was a way around to spending $2000 and €680 in your case as I dont really need the GPS navigation.

A2DP was already supported in high end models of nokia or sony erricson and with the 3.0 update it does suppose A2DP(already tested with a BT stereo headset), so I am almost sure it would work with an UMI.

It would be great if merc comes with may be a software update to work this with the current system or if anyone knows anything like that is already possible??

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
It would be great if merc comes with may be a software update to work this with the current system or if anyone knows anything like that is already possible??
They usually don't add features to the car afterwards. I don't see A2DP support likely as a SW update to the head unit even if it was feasible from the HW point of view.

But do you really see it that useful when you can put a lot of songs to a memory card and control the music from the Comand (MM) interface?

·
Registered
6 Posts
They usually don't add features to the car afterwards. I don't see A2DP support likely as a SW update to the head unit even if it was feasible from the HW point of view.
A2DP would essentially be only a SW update since the hardware(bluetooth adapter) is already in the system. It might be similar to how apple did it in iPhone 3.0 software update. Now, something I am not sure is if merc actually does any software updates :rolleyes:

But do you really see it that useful when you can put a lot of songs to a memory card and control the music from the Comand (MM) interface?
My car doesnt have a command interface. Its does have Ipod integration which has shitty controls and neither does charge my Iphone. So, I rather control my music from my Iphone itself. I could do that if the car had an extra aux interface(but merc didnt provide that in my model:crybaby2:)

·
Registered
w204 - Black
109 Posts
A2DP would essentially be only a SW update since the hardware(bluetooth adapter) is already in the system. It might be similar to how apple did it in iPhone 3.0 software update. Now, something I am not sure is if merc actually does any software updates :rolleyes:

My car doesnt have a command interface. Its does have Ipod integration which has shitty controls and neither does charge my Iphone. So, I rather control my music from my Iphone itself. I could do that if the car had an extra aux interface(but merc didnt provide that in my model:crybaby2:)
You do have an aux-in jack...its located in your glovebox, covered by ipod connector plastic.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
This is more or less what I said. Except that I mentioned it being unlikely that MB would introduce the new feature even if the HW capability is there.

They do SW updates for almost any control unit in the car if there is an issue. But these are bug fixes or something similar. It has been only a few cases where features have been introduced. Thee W221 got bird's eye view navigation and the option to show ETA on the main navi display (and US cars got DVD video support). They had to print a supplement for the user manual because the one with the car would not cover the new features. It isn't only about saving enhancements to a new model, to improve sales of new cars.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
47 Posts
I know for sure UMI will add A2DP feature, not sure if UCI will do the same or not
also, the A2DP feature for UMI is enabled by adding another BT device and not by update the existing HU
so if you have UMI and you enabled A2DP, you will have 2 BT devices on your phone's device list, one is MB Bluetooth and the other is UMI
They do co-exist w/o problem and can be connected at the same time
HOWEVER, THE AUDIO QUALITY IS LESS THAN STELLAR FROM MY NOKIA N85 AND VOLUME IS WAY TOO LOW..

·
Registered
6 Posts
You do have an aux-in jack...its located in your glovebox, covered by ipod connector plastic.
There isnt anything like that. Its only the Ipod connector wire coming out of a slot on the right inside of the glove box. I even asked the dealership. May be I am missing it? Can you specify where exactly?

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
47 Posts
There isnt anything like that. Its only the Ipod connector wire coming out of a slot on the right inside of the glove box. I even asked the dealership. May be I am missing it? Can you specify where exactly?
no, you are correct. if you choose to install ipod kit, you will lose the aux in port
only UMI or UCI will give you both iPod connection & aux in, and only UMI and UCI will give you the ability to control ipod from the main screen

·
Registered
6 Posts
no, you are correct. if you choose to install ipod kit, you will lose the aux in port
only UMI or UCI will give you both iPod connection & aux in, and only UMI and UCI will give you the ability to control ipod from the main screen
Can I get more info about UCI? Is it cheaper than UMI? I didnt find anything on the merc website? Would you know if its also possible to install aux alongwith Ipod connector?

·
Registered
w204 - Black
109 Posts
Wrong.

If you have ipod kit, the aux input is tucked away under the plastic cover - this is old news. Do a search and you will find instructions/pictures on how to access it.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Wrong.

If you have ipod kit, the aux input is tucked away under the plastic cover - this is old news. Do a search and you will find instructions/pictures on how to access it.
I'm confused, what was wrong with the comment from justthinking? I read you both saying the same thing. :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts