Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300 turbodiesel
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So, while doing a valve adjustment I checked the timing chain stretch. Utilising the method of aligning the groove on the back of the upper cam gear with the mark on the housing. I found somewhere between 0 and 5 deg. of stretch. I checked it 5 times and got slightly different answers every time.

Anyway, go using the fuel welling up in injector hole #1 method I found that the fuel wasn't visible until 5 deg. BTDC. Did i do something wrong here, anyone know if the car would even be running with the timing advanced 18 deg? Also, if anyone has a good picture or diagram of the adjusting bolts on the ip, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1985 300 turbodiesel
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all im really trying to do is determine whether I have a fuel starvation issue. The timing chain stretch seems within tolerances, and its about a 3 to 1 ratio of knowledgable sounding people saying, "don't adjust the ip timing, its only off as much as the chain, and the valve timing". I can't get black smoke, i.e. unburned fuel, out of the tailpipe even with the ALDA removed, and my car is sloooow, unless I punch it and even then 20 seconds 0-60. I appreciate all the help, keep it coming y'all.

·
Registered
1985 300 turbodiesel
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update- after the valve adjustment I buttoned everything back up, and I'm finally seeing black smoke, 2 intakes were tight and 1 exhaust was the same. Just test drove the car and 0-60 its about 1 sec faster, more consistently close to 18.5 secs. If I can find a 3/8 by 3/8 by 3/16 tee fitting for the boost gauge, I'll be able to monitor boost and then adjust as needed.

Can anyone tell me, is there any reason the top half of my ALDA can't be re-tapped with a new bolt and lock nut? I would like to re-integrate it into the system and havn't been able to find a used replacement. There doesn't seem to be anything special about the adjuster screw. Anyone?

·
Banned
82 300D VNT, 80 240D 3.0T
3,926 Posts
krousorama said:
Can anyone tell me, is there any reason the top half of my ALDA can't be re-tapped with a new bolt and lock nut? I would like to re-integrate it into the system and havn't been able to find a used replacement. There doesn't seem to be anything special about the adjuster screw. Anyone?
Once the screw is broken off or broken out of the ALDA, the ALDA is scrap metal.

The screw is a soldered in plug for the top bellows. Once that seal is broken, the calibrated pressure inside that bellows is released and cannot be repaired.

·
Registered
European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
661 Posts
You need to do a Diesel Purge before touching the ALDA ~ it makes a HUGE differance in every car I touch...

-Nate

krousorama said:
update- after the valve adjustment I buttoned everything back up, and I'm finally seeing black smoke, 2 intakes were tight and 1 exhaust was the same. Just test drove the car and 0-60 its about 1 sec faster, more consistently close to 18.5 secs. If I can find a 3/8 by 3/8 by 3/16 tee fitting for the boost gauge, I'll be able to monitor boost and then adjust as needed.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Diesel purge and corresponding filter change and bleed
Throttle linkage adjustment + bowden cable if so equipped
Clean banjo bolt + lines + overboost switch
Valve adjustment

·
Registered
1985 300 turbodiesel
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've rounded up all the usual suspects, diesel purged twice in the past 6 months, ditto for valves, ALDA threads stipped at 270 deg. of CCW adjustment, banjo bolt was so fresh and so clean, clean. All filters changed, including tank strainer, star tron algae kill, 4 prefilters over the next month till the tank ran clean.

Linkage adjustments make the car shift a little later/harder, at least turning the while plastic adjuster does, and right now apart from some 2-3 flare when cold, minimal really, the car shifts smoothly and at the right RPM. The linkage has been disassembled cleaned and lubed, its still herky jerky and cumbersome, but moves about as well as something with 6 rods tied together and moving in different directions can. Compression test, possible wastegate adjustment, and K1 spring replacement on the horizon. I'm not obsessed with going fast, I just want this beautiful machine to go as fast as it should. This forum rocks.

·
Registered
European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
661 Posts
It'll go plenty fast , trust me ! my Diesels are all NA and I routinely surprise other Motorists.... :D

A nice set of Bielstien shocks will help matters greatly too .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts