Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wanted to get some feedback from the pros about a dilemma I am having on my 500SL. I currently own a black/grey '92 500SL in beyond mint condition. It only has 50k, and I have done everything from strut mounts, new transmission, power steering, brakes, every line and hose, little odds and ends, etc. Looks great, runs great, drives great.

What I am looking for is a AMG-style vehicle with the AMG body package, AMG rims, solid color body.

What are you opinions and reasoning for either selling my current vehicle and buying a newer AMG model, or investing in the kits/wheels and upgrading my current vehicle? Aside from the AMG wants, is there any real reason to move from a 92 to later model?

Thank you all!
S

·
Registered
1996 SL320
285 Posts
With all that time and money spent to make her perfect, you will never recouperate, I would drive and enjoy the car.

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Spray that goofy two tone lower body to match the upper, put on some AMG wheels and enjoy your car. As the last guy said, you most likely won't recoup your cash, and might have .tonstart over. Even the newest 129 is 10 years old.

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
I had the same dilemma a while ago, and although I still have some stuff to do
mainly 20yrs ageing plastics and previous owners lack of part removal knowledge . I decided to carry on with the project, the major stuff is done now and the car presents really well and always gets loads of interest when parked.

Insurance Value for a 92 R129 is around $50k over here and they are a lot more expensive to buy than in the USA. I think good ones will become collectable eventually

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
The money side is an issue that time may improve, however MB made many R129's and only a few limited production series have shown any increase in value.
In "broken over shoe" Kansas the speed limit reduces the true AMG benefits, so that would not be a factor. My cars are fast enough!
How you feel about the car is everything. Being an old person, who has lots of great experiences and more vehicles than I can drive, I value the unique, something with a story! I find a kit conversion not worthy of my time. If money is not the object, sell the 92 and buy your dream. Then you can tell your grandchildren of your great move or vanity folly! or that is how it works for me! ;)

·
Registered
10 c63, 06 s65
292 Posts
Spray that goofy two tone lower body to match the upper, put on some AMG wheels and enjoy your car. As the last guy said, you most likely won't recoup your cash, and might have .tonstart over. Even the newest 129 is 10 years old.
I agree. I was going to sell mine untill i came across a really cheap but perfect set of amg monoblocks. Completely changes the whole look!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts