Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 W211 E 320 M112 211.065
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening (for me at least), my name's Jacob and I've only just registered here, but have been a member of a German Mercedes Forum since I started my car journey, just about two and a half years ago. In that forum, an introduction was well received (read: expected) and I do hope that it is similar here... and you don't mind my lengthy introduction.

If not obvious enough, I'm German and if there are any mistakes in grammar, you now know why. My first car, which I bought in 2019, was a W210 E280 4matic, which unfortunately, was not spared the typical rust issues and only lasted me about a year. Afterwards I drove another car, which was not a Mercedes, and so will not be described further. Suffice it so say, I tried my hand at DIY-ing some stuff and broke the engine during that process. While this was a blow to my ego, it did nothing to diminish the need to learn maintaining my cars by myself. If possible/reasonable...
Car Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Tire

Just as a quick aside, I grew up (being born in '99) with my parents W124 230E and later a 2008 W211 E 220 CDI

Now on to my current means of travel. I drive a 2002 W211 E 320 (V6 - M112) in Andradite Green with Beige leather interior.
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

I'll just add the data card here:
  • FIN WDB2110651A177505
  • Model E 320
  • Engine 112949 31 429740
  • Transmission 722618 04 058967
  • Order Number 0 2 219 10562
  • Order Location HAMBURG BRANCH
  • Production Number 8175472
  • Interior AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BEIGE (845A)
  • Paint 1 ANDRADITE GREEN METALLIC (816U)
  • Release Date 2002-11-14
  • Delivery Date 2002-11-15

Code Description
  • 202B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - GERMAN
  • 213 SPEED-SENSITIVE POWER STEERING/VARIO STEERING
  • 219L HAMBURG BRANCH
  • 220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS)
  • 230B CUSTOMER SERVICE - STATION EUROPE
  • 249 INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
  • 260 TYPE DESTINATION ON TRUNK LID - ELIMINATION
  • 275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
  • 280 LEATHER STEERING WHEEL AND LEATHER GEAR SHIFT KNOB
  • 2XXL FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY
  • 354 ANTENNA FOR TELEPHONE D/E-NET
  • 380 COMPLETE CELL PHONE PREINSTALLATION
  • 414 ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
  • 423 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
  • 580 AIR CONDITIONER
  • 690 EMERGENCY SPARE TIRE (MINI SPARE)
  • 803 CHANGE OF MODEL YEAR, THE LAST FIGURE SHOWING THE NEW MODEL YEAR
  • 816U ANDRADITE GREEN METALLIC
  • 840A AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE
  • 845A AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BEIGE
  • 873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
  • 910 DYNAMO WITH HIGHER CAPACITY (FFO)
  • 915 FUEL TANK WITH LARGER CAPACITY
  • 926 EXHAUST GAS CLEANING WITH EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY
  • 955 EQUIPMENT PACKAGE ELEGANCE
  • 985 COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W. REG. CERT. PART II
  • M112 V6-GASOLINE ENGINE M112
  • M32 CAPACITY 3,2 LITER

So, this is it. I am not going to leave the German forum, but I'm really enjoying some of the content here on BenzWorld and might drop on by regularly. If you notice any mistakes, or have hints and tips for me concerning the general usage of the forum, such as formatting, don't hesitate to say so. Have a nice evening 🙋‍♂️

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To add to the above. I bought the car with 136.000km and it has now run about 140.000km (close to 90.000 miles) and is in "okay" condition. It's generally running well and looks fine but definitely has some blemishes. Steering wheel looks pretty worn and the paint has quite a few bad spots, which you can see on closer inspection.

Due to a chip in the glass, the car recently received a new windshield. I'm also, driving over certain bumps, hearing a clunking noise from the front and rear. I replaced the rear shocks, but the old ones were still fine, even if they looked quite bad. Next is up is stuff like sway bar links, ball joints, lower control arm, etc. Will replace everything in time and when money allows. I am not necessarily dependent on the car, and it is more of a hobby to me.

Primary goal for now is sort out the suspension issues, and also an occasional squeaking noise caused by the A/C (maybe blower motor). Afterwards I'd maybe like to change aesthetic stuff, as it currently sits on the original 16" elegance rims. Different exhaust would also be nice... Restrictions and requirements for some of these modifications is pretty strict in Germany though. E.g. when retrofitting Bi-Xenon headlights, you need to, by law, also retrofit the headlight washers and the self-leveling unit for the headlights (not sure on the exact term in English).

Gas consumption sits at about 11 to 11,5 liters per 100km, which translates to roughly 20 to 20,5 mpg, if the online conversion tool didn't mess up too bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Why, thank you for the kind words. The pictures paint them in a very good light. And if you then look under the hood, figuratively speaking, only then you‘ll see the blemishes. But I suppose that can be said for a lot of things in life, and is not limited to cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good evening,

I recently battled with the thought of whether I wanted to create an overview of the costs of the car since I've purchased it. First instinct was to say "No", because I rationalize this car and the accumulating expenses as an expensive hobby.

However, I've come to the conclusion that there are much worse ideas, than knowing how much money you spend on something expensive. Be that as it may, I love this hobby and the amassed figures don't affect the decision, whether or not I want to keep the car. As long as there is stuff (such as repairs) I want to do and gather experience, these will be my primary factors in making any such decision.

Following, you will find a summary of what I've paid since the time of purchase, June this year.

Purchase
6,500€

Running costs
Insurance (yearly) 1,590.01€
Taxes (yearly) 216€
Gasoline 655.30€

Maintenance & Repairs
3,086.27€

Sum
12,047.58€

The sum above amounts to roughly 13,926.00$. It should be noted that a lot of the maintenance and repairs, when I first got the car, were not done by myself, but in a shop. Also the insurance is so high (by German standards) because I'm only 22 years old and, thus, am considered a "high risk" driver. As I get older, the insurance will become a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051; 2003 E320; W211.065; 1973 220; W115.010
1,010 Posts
I have a 2003 E320 with almost all the same options except that it is a US mkt car; Delivery Date 28-08-2002.

I bought the car for one of my daughters about 3.5 yrs ago with ~145km total mileage. She is 1yr older than you.

The car is black outside and black interior.

Your car looks very nice inside and out. The price you paid seems good if the engine and drivetrain is is good working order. With ~3100 Euros on repairs since June, it sounds like you are fixing all the things that need to be fixed which is the cheapest total cost of ownership for MB cars IMO.

The M112 motor and 722.6 transmission are very solid units if properly maintained.

The hard adjustment for me to the W211 is the huge change in architecture and complexity of the electronic/computer/CAN bus layer of the vehicles in major model changes from year 2000 forward. You need SDS or something close to it to do many maintenance jobs. I have this tool and do all the maintenance, but she lives ~300km away so that poses some inconveniences.

I see that you had infotainment/sound system Command Unit changed. Hopefully that works well. With that fiber optic system, that job can can be hard and/or expensive if problems develop in the AGW unit in the trunk.

What a great "first car" for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I‘m definitely looking to keep the car in shape and will mostly likely acquire an SDS sometime in the next 2-3 months.

The sound system was changed by a professional during the previous owner‘s ownership. I have a bunch of receipts from that time, and the receipt for that particular job sits at around 1,500€. Which is a comfort to me, it was done properly and apart from e.g. being able to use CarPlay, they also had a rear camera installed.

I wouldn’t consider this my first car. My first car was a W210 and afterwards I drove a Vauxhall for a bit.

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051; 2003 E320; W211.065; 1973 220; W115.010
1,010 Posts
Huge difference between the W210 & the W211.

Both good cars. I almost got a 2001 W210 E320 for my daughter that had about 25km on it, but the car got sold because I didn't 'jump' fast enough to drive to to Los Angeles to check it out ~160km.

In the end, I think she likes the W211 better. She would have thought the W210 as too 'old school'. I have a W140 and I know she feels more comfortable in her W211 and the Command unit retrofit with Android unit with CarPlay, etc is just more familiar to the 'cellphone generation' mindset.

I've never thought that the body lines of the W210 were all that great either. The W140 has a more 'timeless' appearance while the W21o looks a bit more dated and has a little too much of a 'mom's car' appearance especially in the front.

The sloping back of the grille and front lamps and the revised 'air dam' in the early W211 gave the car a much 'younger' styling.

The later W211's have a bit too much of harsher body lines and angular elements that tend to be less 'timeless' IMO. The air dam piece in the front on the late models has also been brought so close to the ground that they tend to get quite battered and scraped up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never thought that the body lines of the W210 were all that great either.
I feel like the W210 is an acquired taste, so to speak. A lot of the younger people I know don't really like the design of the W210, though this could be said for most of the older Mercedes models. To me the 210 felt like home, and if I come across a specimen that's not rusty, I might get one again.

What I miss in "newer" models, W211 and onwards, is that the hood is not straight anymore, but has more of an angle, which results in the star being less visible. I really like having the star visible at the end of a long hood (e.g. W126).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Changed the H7 bulbs for the normal lights (low beam, is what it’s called - I think?) to Philips RacingVision. Unfortunately didn’t make a significant change.

Been thinking about doing a Bi-Xenon retrofit, but since in Germany it is required to have the self-leveling and headlight washers for Xenon, this would be a bit of a bigger project. Not sure if I‘d be comfortable with that, and it‘d also be out of my budget. Something for the future, I’m sure. Would be a very nice upgrade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts