Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1961 404.114 Unimog
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Mike and I have a new addicition :) I've had Pinzgauers for several years and we just picked up our first Unimog. It's a 1961 404.114 Variant set up as a Swiss transport/troop carrier. I'm very grateful as it has zero rust and only 14K original kilometers!

It didn't come with the batteries, but does have the battery tray and conventional post type cables. I searched the forum and can't find any mention of the battery size to order that will fit the original tray? I'm already sold on Odyssey Batteries but need to get the size to be able to order them. I pulled one of my Pinz batteries, which is a 31A x 2, but they appear to be too large. Any help you can suggest will be appreciated.

I've had a new Warn M12000 24V winch I have been saving but can't find a bolt on winch mount. EI shows one for the 404, however, it's out of production. Any suggestions? I am hopeful the new Odyssey batteries will be able to support the new winch?

With regard to service, the truck has the pertronix and civilian conversion already done. My plan was to do an oil change and replace all the filters. Anything else I should be aware of as I bring the service up to snuff?

The brake fluid resevoir was empty, hence very poor to no brakes. I was going to replace the soft hose at the resevoir/ master cylinder and then power bleed them. I don't see any leaks at the backing plates or lines so I figured power bleeding will make any issues obvious and messy! Is this a typical problem?

This is my first exposure to a Unimog and I am very impressed with how robust it is and how accessible everything is relative to my Pinzgauers. I can see why you guys love them so much and I am on the road to that opinion. I can't wait to get it running!

Thanks again for your help in advance. Please don't be afraid to offer suggestions and point me in a better direction as my only experience is with the Pinz's and they are an entirely different animal.

Mike and Linda

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,436 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
If I were you I'd do some search on this forum first (use "search" option)
about batteries.

Cheers.

·
Registered
404.1 ragtop Doka
324 Posts
I use Group 65 batteries... but they are not exactly the same size with all manufacturers.
Measure you battery tray and make sure you have an extra 1/4 inch or so all around... and don't forget some space between for the hold down.
Most battery web sites give length, width and height.

·
Registered
a couple round ones
1,333 Posts
Welcome to the world of Mogs!
If you do not already have a manual and the glove box book, they should be one of your first purchases. I believe its the glove box book that has a great reference for fluids change intervals amongst other checklists.
Enjoy
G Vavra

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
Ya'all, isn't the original military battery a 6TL size? That's from memory and I do not find that size when doing a search on this forum so I am probably wrong. You might check your battery trays against size for a pair of 6TL batteries and see if there's a size match. The 6TL's would be serious overkill...but that's not a bad thing.

The 404 is an easy starting truck, does not draw nearly as high of current as many vehicles, and does just fine on a pair of less expensive batteries.

Bob

·
Registered
Sold .....1987 U1250 Unimog
1,005 Posts

·
Registered
2007 SL550, 1996 E300 Diesel, 1959 220SE, 1965 Unimog 404.115-Sold
311 Posts
My name is Mike and I have a new addicition :) I've had Pinzgauers for several years and we just picked up our first Unimog. It's a 1961 404.114 Variant set up as a Swiss transport/troop carrier. I'm very grateful as it has zero rust and only 14K original kilometers!

It didn't come with the batteries, but does have the battery tray and conventional post type cables. I searched the forum and can't find any mention of the battery size to order that will fit the original tray? I'm already sold on Odyssey Batteries but need to get the size to be able to order them. I pulled one of my Pinz batteries, which is a 31A x 2, but they appear to be too large. Any help you can suggest will be appreciated.

I've had a new Warn M12000 24V winch I have been saving but can't find a bolt on winch mount. EI shows one for the 404, however, it's out of production. Any suggestions? I am hopeful the new Odyssey batteries will be able to support the new winch?

With regard to service, the truck has the pertronix and civilian conversion already done. My plan was to do an oil change and replace all the filters. Anything else I should be aware of as I bring the service up to snuff?

The brake fluid resevoir was empty, hence very poor to no brakes. I was going to replace the soft hose at the resevoir/ master cylinder and then power bleed them. I don't see any leaks at the backing plates or lines so I figured power bleeding will make any issues obvious and messy! Is this a typical problem?

This is my first exposure to a Unimog and I am very impressed with how robust it is and how accessible everything is relative to my Pinzgauers. I can see why you guys love them so much and I am on the road to that opinion. I can't wait to get it running!

Thanks again for your help in advance. Please don't be afraid to offer suggestions and point me in a better direction as my only experience is with the Pinz's and they are an entirely different animal.

Mike and Linda
Congrats on the Mog purchase. If the mog has been sitting not driven for a while you will more than likely find that the brake wheel cylinders are rusted up and probably leaking. I replaced 1 of mine with a new unit and was able to rebuild the other 3 but it took quite a bit of honing to remove all the pits and rust. For batteries I installed 2 Napa 7524 and they have been working fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts