Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.0 Sportline
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! I just purchased a 1990 190E 2.0 Sportline, thought I'd post a few photos and ask what you all think...

This is a 130k km car, rust free, owned by my mechanic for the last 5 yrs. His daughter used it for that period to go to school and back, He was quite anal about servicing it - synthetic fluids only kind of guy. He looks after my turbo diesel 80 series Land Cruiser, so I trust his integrity.

Question- what can I do for the leather seats? they seem to scratch rather easily, also the car has 225/50/15 rear and 205/55/15 front Yokohama AVS 100 tires with tons of tread- is this normal?

I bought this car because I intend to daily drive it, tired of piling up the no fun miles on the 'Cruiser! Honestly, there is no rust, door dings etc. The carpets seem mint, no leakage and everything works excepting the antenna.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 190E 1.8 auto; 1992 180E 5 speed
313 Posts
Looks like a great car - sounds like you're going to be very happy with that one!

Just out of interest, what country are you in? It's RHD, it's got the speedometer reading in km/h, but it has an airbag. Haven't seen one of them yet!

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.0 Sportline
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh- I'm sorry, should have specified. I'm in Canada, the car was a British Consular vehicle in Japan until my mechanic imported it here 5 yrs. ago. He got it with 62k KM on it and his daughter drove it to the present 130k KM. I have all records, and the power seats still have that parts department strip of paper on them with the part numbers and the word 'sports' penciled in.

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts

Very nice-looking car there---congrats. OTOH, will you get tired of the steering wheel on the "wrong side" of the car, with all the problems of that arrangement in a LHD country? Just wondering this sort of thing usually works out.
Hemersam

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.0 Sportline
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no issues driving on the 'wrong' side, I have a Japanese market RHD Land Cruiser as well as a '06 Scooby Forester in LHD, I actually prefer RHD! (and the cars are in great shape and this one was very cheap.) The insurance is a tad more than the LHD equivalent due to some questionable statistics, but I like stepping out on the sidewalk rather than the traffic.

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
715 Posts
225 on the rears on stock wheels? That seems super wide. I've got 205's and they're kinda bubbly I can't imagine 225's, though I cant really see it in the pics. That's a very nice car either way.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.0 Sportline
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mechanic informs me the rear rims are wider than the fronts- apparently this was unusual? we had the car up on his lift looking around, pretty mint.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
if they are the real leather seats, then use a heat gun to warm up the leather and use a can of shoeshine mink oil on each seat in several coats. most of the leather seats from this era are dried out, cracking, and have split stitching...after your mink oils is totally absorbed into the leather and its natural oils have been restored, you can then treat it for color fading and the like

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,263 Posts
if they are the real leather seats, then use a heat gun to warm up the leather and use a can of shoeshine mink oil on each seat in several coats. most of the leather seats from this era are dried out, cracking, and have split stitching...after your mink oils is totally absorbed into the leather and its natural oils have been restored, you can then treat it for color fading and the like

This remind me when I was in military : Shinning your black leather boots for inspection..:D

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
about the same principal, works wonders for restoring old leather...i it's dirty leather with dirt buildup, i'd suggest using saddle soap first till all the dirt is removed...then mink oil and coloring

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.0 Sportline
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok the seats are the leather ones. They are identical to the ones I saw in a 2.5-16 on line and at a local car store. Once I restore the moisture what do I use to colour them? I will post the parts code paper label this afternoon

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
after you finish conditioning them you can use regular liquid kiwi black shoe dye with the sponge applicator.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.0 Sportline
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Turnpike, exactly the help I was looking for. Here attached is the tag from the seat, seems to be the same as the 16v cars. Guess I have a sheep in wolf's clothing!

Attachments

·
Registered
'87 190E 2.6
186 Posts
Goto Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products

Use their stuff - simply amazing. I've been using it for years - and will use nothing else on leather.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.0 Sportline
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replaced the rear rotors and pads today, Mechanic told me the rear rims are 7.5 " wide and the fronts are 7" wide. He installed the 225 50 15 rear and the 205 50 15 front Yoko AVS 100 tires to give the car a bit more off the line get up. I was astonished to find not a single bit of rust underneath this car. I will post up the results of my seat renewal project in future, thanks again for the assistance.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Goto Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products

Use their stuff - simply amazing. I've been using it for years - and will use nothing else on leather.
i'm sure it is... but i've been tooling and working leather in my spare time for a few years...IMO leather can't be "repaired" without leaving a scar that looks nasty it's just like skin, i prefer to stick with the natural stuff... to each their own...

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.0 Sportline
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
UPDATE

A year later, I have put 25,000 km on this car. I have had several fender bender type accidents (damage to replaceable plastic bits and grille), and tend to drive the heck out of it. The rear Yokohamas are now pretty bald so I tend to enjoy some drifting in the rain too. If I floor it off the line in the wet it will break the rear tires at the 1-2 shift and have a nice slide..

Total repairs
1) replace all rotors and pads
2) replace leaky heater control valve
3) replace rear muffler with straight pipe
4) replace several tail light bulbs

it has never failed to start and has had no systems failures to speak of.

I have changed the oil at 7000k intervals with synthetic and monitored all fluids carefully.

Overall, an excellent value and perfectly reliable...

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
Posted on 11/27/10
The insurance is a tad more than the LHD equivalent due to some questionable statistics,
Posted on 11/12/11
UPDATE
I have had several fender bender type accidents (damage to replaceable plastic bits and grille), and tend to drive the heck out of it.
I guess you are the questionable statistic. Couldn't help but laugh.
Mike

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.0 Sportline
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HA- I am only a threat to concrete parking structures! No inter-vehicular relations!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts