Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was told that i had to run an intertube in my new 39.5x13.5x20s irock swampers. does any body know diffrent??:surrender:

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I have seen plenty of mogs with the tires mounted tubeless, on 404 and 406 style rims. If you do use tubes, make sure you get radial tubes. I was told that radial tires will chew up tubes meant for bias ply tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It may have something to do with the type of tire you are using. In my experiences with Michelin 20" XL XZL XML tires, I have been told that there are 2 types of beads, a military and a civilian style. If memory serves me right, I think the main difference is in the angle of the bead in relation to the rim. One might be 5 degrees, and one might be 20. (no idea if those figures are right, just pulling numbers out of my head to make a point) I would assume that the Swampers have a civilian style bead and perhaps the Mog's use a military style bead on their wheels. I would mount one up and see if it seals up nice and tight.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
i was told that i had to run an intertube in my new 39.5x13.5x20s irock swampers. does any body know diffrent??:surrender:
if those are beadlocks on your mog.. heck no you dont need a tube:rolleyes: from what I understand about it.

Granted though several spare tubes is a heck lot easier to carry around than several spare radial tires.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
It may have something to do with the type of tire you are using. In my experiences with Michelin 20" XL XZL XML tires, I have been told that there are 2 types of beads, a military and a civilian style. If memory serves me right, I think the main difference is in the angle of the bead in relation to the rim. One might be 5 degrees, and one might be 20. (no idea if those figures are right, just pulling numbers out of my head to make a point) I would assume that the Swampers have a civilian style bead and perhaps the Mog's use a military style bead on their wheels. I would mount one up and see if it seals up nice and tight.
Interesting, before I mounted my XLs I spoke with an engineer from Michelin. He asked me to send him several pics and measurements of the wheels I wanted to use, but made no mention of the tires. I just said 15.5-20 XL and that was it. FWIW, he told me it was not the ideal seating match, but that it would work and be safe. I do keep loosing the bead on one wheel (PITA) and if Greg doesn't get a line on bolt together wheels I'll call Staun.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bead locks

well the bead locks in those photos are fake beadlocks a buddy had them in his shop and told me to put them on for a joke (mog bling) HEE HEE. they are stock rims. thanks for the responce.

the bling will be comming off when the new rubber goes on. FLAT BLACK:thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Riveted rims?

Are the rims themselves airtight? Perhaps riveted together and not welded? I have been looking at those tires myself, let me know how they go. Did you go for the radial or bias ply version?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i belive that they are welded i went for the bias ply for more side wall protection. way more dirt and roc than street. and with a top speed of 46 the bias should be just fine.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just put the 39.5x13.5/20" Irok bias ply's on my stock 404 rims. The tire shop didn't seem to think that it would be a problem at all not running tubes. I told them to put bead sealer goop on them just as an added measure. I also had them put a bag of balancing beads inside each wheel just for the hell of it.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts