Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz E200k Kompressor Saloon
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my e240 has just started to cut out whilst driving intermittently. Sometimes when I go to start, the engine cranks over but doesn't fire up. When it runs it's perfectly smooth quiet and refined so wouldn't think it's something mechanically wrong with the engine. Any ideas as I'm about to go on holiday in 3wks time which is 640 miles round trip.

Matt

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hi my e240 has just started to cut out whilst driving intermittently. Sometimes when I go to start, the engine cranks over but doesn't fire up. When it runs it's perfectly smooth quiet and refined so wouldn't think it's something mechanically wrong with the engine. Any ideas as I'm about to go on holiday in 3wks time which is 640 miles round trip.

Matt
Hi, Matt. We don't get your engine over here, at least not in the W210. But since it is the M112 V6, I would lean towards the Crank Position Sensor, location and replacement are covered in the stickies.

If this behavior predominantly happens when the engine is hot and seems to correct itself after it's allowed to cool down some, then that would make the CPS even more suspect.

Good luck.

Oh, and KUDOS for putting such excellent vehicle details in your profile. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi yes it's the V6. When you say hot, would a hot day be the same as the first time it happened it had been stood for about 2hrs but was in 25 degree heat. Today I had a look in the engine bay and cleaned a few plugs with air and 3 out of 4 starts it wouldn't fire but if just been out again and fires first turn. In weird..

Matt

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still doing it and now won't rev past 4-4.5k rpm. Don't want to spend loads on getting the crank sensor fixed and it being something else. Does it still sound like cranksensor if it won't rev past 4-4.5k aswell as intermittent cut out and not starting them been running for a while?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Still doing it and now won't rev past 4-4.5k rpm. Don't want to spend loads on getting the crank sensor fixed and it being something else. Does it still sound like cranksensor if it won't rev past 4-4.5k aswell as intermittent cut out and not starting them been running for a while?
Are you just free-revving it? Aside from not generally being a great idea, there is also a rev limiter that starts cutting in about 4,000 RPM, so what you're describing is perfectly normal.

However, you're starting to run down the rabbit hole. You already have a symptom that points directly at the crank sensor. Trying to devise other tests isn't really going to add any information to that. ("Let's see, if I plug that vacuum line, spray a mist of water into the intake while balancing on my left foot and pointing my right one towards Mecca...") Yes, I'm joking, of course, but I hope you see the ultimate futility in making something up and chasing it down the hole.

Nor is there necessarily a need to go in hock to the shop. You can do the crank sensor yourself in about fifteen minutes. Even if you don't have all the tools, you can buy the tools and the sensor and do this for perhaps $100, which is still less than half (probably closer to a quarter) what the dealer would charge.

Seriously. Read through the DIY I did on opening the hood all the way and locating it, then find yours. If you can find it and put your hand on it, you can change it. This is no more technically difficult than changing a tire, and so long as the engine has cooled off and you keep the key in your pocket, it's safer than the tire change, too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi I've ordered a crank sensor but what size screw is holding it in as when i feel with my hands I can't tell

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts