1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.6L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long-time fan, first-time Benz owner.

I have a '92 190e 2.6L.

The oil warning light is coming on intermittently. Sometimes it's when driving around town, other times on the highway.

I've been keeping a close eye on the oil level, checking it each occurrence, and finding it at an OK level.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this issue?

Thanks in advance,

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,730 Posts
Same problem here. Not sure what to make of it. Mine is a 1989 190E 2.6

·
Registered
2000 C230 Komp
182 Posts
Usually I keep my oil level at the max line. When my car is low on oil it doesnt complain as long as I stay below highway speeds. But as soo an I hit highway speeds the engine obviously requires more oil at higher RPMS, and if you are low on oil the engine won't be getting the proper lubrication and thus the light comes on. It will also begin to shake if you are really low on oil, at highway speeds.

Check your oil level again, and see where your oil pressure needle is when you'r car is in idle and when in gear.

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
I had a similar experience on our 190d. I talked to somebody about it and they suggested changing the sending unit at the next oil change as bits of gunk can become lodged in the unit and cause a faulty low oil signal from inadequate circulation to the unit.

As an aside, I asked about oil recommendations to minimize this sort of problem and they suggested that for diesels to ONLY use diesel-formulated oils and for gasoline motors to go with synthetics or blends, and change oil and filters regularly with the engine warm. Common sense stuff, but the Prev. Owner of ours most likely did not follow this guideline as the oil change decal on the windshield was for an inexpensive 10-40 wt (which I don't think is a common desel formulation...)

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.6L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll increase the amount of oil gradually to being it up to the max end of the range. I'll also continue to keep an eye on the oil level to ensure it's OK. I haven't observed any leaks on my garage floor. And the engine isn't smoking either so it's not burning oil.

As a new owner, I'm also curious what oil to run in my car. I'm leaning toward a synthetic but would enjoy hearing others' opinions and suggestions.

I've also priced an oil sender unit and found one with a set of O-rings for about $55. I'll probably order one and have it swapped out during my next oil change which is coming up in mid-May.

·
Registered
'86 190E 2.3 8vlv
19 Posts
demmons65 - 4/30/2005 4:24 PM
I've also priced an oil sender unit and found one with a set of O-rings for about $55.
I just ordered one from AutoHausaz.com for about $38, incl. o-rings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The sensor for the oil light, "not the pressure gage" is on the left side of the oil pan. If the oil level is low it will come on as an indication your oil level is getting low. Just add some oil. You might choose to run the oil level slightly higher that the normal line to prolong the interval if your engine burns oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts