Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 190e 2.6 Sportline, 2005 clk55
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a stock 01 clk430 with 194000+ miles.

I did a top side oil change on my car and then next morning it cranked but did not fire. It continues to crank until I turn the key back to position 1. I tried the key again and taped the gas and it fired up and ran fine. I took the car around the block, came back to my house, turned it off and restarted with no problem. Let it sit 15 min and it started and immediately died. Hit the key and tap the gas and it started right up. I then drove the car about 10 miles and left it there for about 2 hours came back and same thing happened. Started then died. Restarted with a tap of the gas. At this point I am thinking fuel pump relay. Later that night I was going to dinner and the car would not start at all. Went out this morning to see if I could figure it out. Hit the key and it looked like the battery was week (dimming the lights). Hit the key a second time and pumped the gas and it started.

I have with in the pas 6 months changed the CPS with a part from the dealer. Spark plugs (Denzo iridium) new battery from the dealer. I always use premium gas. Regular oil changes with mobile 1 0-40. Also I took the air cover off and looked for anything that could have come loose.

This car has not given me any problems except the CPS up till now. There are no trouble codes. When it fires it drives like normal. No flat spot throughout the entire range of the throttle. Idles well and does not die while running. Temperature does not seem to be a factor.

Sorry for the long post but I’m stumped and want to give you all some info. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am taking ideas at this point. I dont want to have to driver the 190e (with the heater stuck on) to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK.... so over 800 views with 1 reply between the 3 places I posted this. Maybe I left something out?

This morning I went to start the car and noticed that the brake lights were not coming on with the key on or off. Then I noticed the last time I tried I got a flash then the car started and the lights worked. Do you think it could be the pedal switch? Also the car ran fine to work and I even stopped for breakfast and it started right up after that.

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
191 Posts
Sorry to hear your problem! I can't help but feel your symptoms are similar to what I had been experiencing and posted (with an equally unsuccessful response) a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208-clk-class/1662286-odd-debilitating-starting-not-starting-problem.html

I also have new spark plugs, MAF, alternator, battery, use premium, etc. I ordered a new CPS and brake light switch thinking though likely unrelated, it's likely to go shortly. Car spent a week and a half at a shop which specializes in electrical diagnostics - they found nothing and couldn't get the problem to replicate after there. They adjusted the battery terminal connections and put on some more robust terminations for the cables, but that's it. I don't drive all that often and it hasn't died on me in a similar fashion in the past week since having it, but I'm not getting the warm and fuzzy when putting the key in.

Wish I had some actual helpful input, but I'm very interested in anything you discover. Please update with any tests you run or leads in getting to the bottom of your issue.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the car to an indy here in Folsom CA called Werkstatt and I have to say these guys have been great. Problem is after the pulled the battery for 10 min and hooked it back up the problem has gone away. I guess that is not much of a problem except I would like to know what was going on. It has been 2 days now of starting normally.

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
191 Posts
Again, I'm in the same boat. Took mine to an indy with a specialization in electronics. In the end, he replaced the negative terminal on the battery and tightened terminals. Been fine now for almost 2 weeks. Still, I'm not too reassured as I don't like wondering what the bug is/was and if it will come back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts