Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, I won't skip that point.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Okay, I checked the rims and they are seems like at least 95% good overall to me and to machinists. I'm looking for a full set replacement now but at the same time I changed the two half-consumed tires and re-checked alignment and weights. Now even with rear tires at 40 psi (for testing purposes only) there is no noticeable shacking at all speed within limits (130km/h max). I'm skeptical so I put a plastic bag on the front passenger's head rest and looked at it at 120km/h and it was shaking so lightly a little. Must be the rims (?).

I think I'm sticking with R15 rims if nothing is mentioned otherwise. I considered R16's before but at least for now the tires are new so I must completely forget about re-studying the possibility for at least two years.

·
Registered
16,786 Posts
Are you sure your flexdiscs, driveshaft support bearing, and engine+trans mounts are in top shape?

If they're old or of dubious origin, change them. You don't want to see the damage a flex disc can do.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Front flex discs and the both engine and trans mount were replaced in this maintenance circle (during last month). The bearings were replaced like a year ago. By chance these were all MB parts except the trans mount was a German made/assembled Lemforder. I believe Lemforder is the approved MB maker for the mounts. Or should I be worried?

Rear flex disk is in great shape with no spacing yet. I don't remember the make.

If the problem was from the above, shouldn't the vibration still exist or at least stay noticeable after all I've done with the tires?

I'll also go and check them again. Maybe they need tightening.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts