Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '96 SL320 that has a buzzing distortion in both CD and radio modes that comes and goes. It's especially noticeable at low volumes. It's throughout all of the speakers so I know it's not just one bad cone. Sometimes if I turn the system off and back on, it will go away or if I switch tracks or from CD to radio or if I really crank the volume.

The noise is hard to describe. Similar to when a radio station gets weak. It sounds gravely and you lose fidelity.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds like a loose connector

Sounds like a loose connector or that moisture may have seeped into the connector or volume control. You are going to have to take the radio out to check for corrosion. If you are not electronically savvy, you should take it to a professional. Make sure you have your radio code before doing that or otherwise your radio will not work after it is disconnected. If you don't have it you can get it from your dealer (with proof of car and radio ownership). :dunno:

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sirius connectors?

I was digging around and found the remnants of a satellite radio connection. I should pull everything out and put it back to stock since I have no use for it. Before I do, could this be a possible cause of the RFI or EMI that I am experiencing?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Remnants of a satellite radio connection

What exactly are those remnants of a satellite radio connection that you refer to? Normally, if there is a connector to an accessory, yet the accessory has been removed, the system will simply indicate that there is no such accessory connected to that particular function. That disconnected accessory, however, should not affect the other functions such as CD or AM/FM. I still would check the connection to the speakers for a loose cable or for corrosion.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, I spent the last days replacing my stock stereo with a dvd HU, tft screens, and additional amp & sub (keeping the bose speakers). now, took out the old stock cassette HU and cd changer. while doing the latter, disconnected the bose amp. since i reconnected it, i also have a slight buzzing sound on low volume when playing cd. the corrosion or humidity argument makes sense as it was raining out and i had doors open. perhaps the humidity got on the connectors causing the issue?? but then, isn't there a way to get rid of this easily? cotton swab & alcohol? hairdryer? etc? i feel we're on to something here ;) happy posting, and thx for feedback.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My distortion is much worse at low volume to the point of being unintelligible. It disappears when I crank it up past a normally loud level. I am assuming that the noise is still there, just overcome by the music.

As I stated earlier, my issue is intermittent. Sometimes it will be there when I first turn it on in the morning commute and sometimes it won't be there. Sometimes I can turn it off and on again and it will disappear. Sometimes switching between radio and Cd will make it either disappear or appear.

I was hoping it was just a blown speaker, but it appears to be coming from all of the speakers. I am a little leary of it being moisture since Tucson runs about 7% humidity here in the desert. Maybe a loose connection?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts