Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have an intermittent buzzing while driving, that sounds like it's coming from the instrument panel area. At first, I thought it was a cracked speaker in front, but the noise continues even when the stereo is off.

It sounds like it might be the same buzzing noise (although a little more quieter) than the seatbelt buzzer.

The strangest thing is that if I turn on my turn signal it stops. After I make my turn, it may or may not start up immediately.

For what it's worth, I checked my fuses and they all look good.

I'm wondering if I should just take out the instrument panel and resoldering the buzzer or replacing the relay or whatever.

I drive an 81 300SD.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A new development. Sometimes my left blinker will also stay on. It will blink slightly dimmer than if I had turned it on manually with the turn signal. I have to turn off the car to get that to stop.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but...

I am having a similar problem with the Rose. If my head lights are on the right front blinker does not work and the dash light blinks really fast. If the headlights are off, the turn signal works?? It has been converted to US lights when Federalized and I have never seen the same wiring set up before. The turn signals have a 2 socket plug onto a 4 pin turn light socket, and a separate socket plugged onto the 4th pin, leaving one pin empty?? Both front turn signals are set up this way.

·
Registered
536 Posts
yeah sorry it's a relay commonly called the "flasher" since it controls the turn signals; it's behind the instrument cluster. the cluster just pops out; there's a special tool but i just use a screwdriver to pop out the cluster, just be careful

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update on buzzing noise

Just an update to my buzzing noise, in case anyone else has this issue.

I ended up replacing the flasher relay, and that did not solve the problem. It actually got worse, resulting in my left signal staying on.

I took off the turn signal wand and tried to clean it, and blew compressed air through it. That seemed to work for a couple weeks, but the problem came back.

I ended up getting a new turn signal wand, installed it, and everything is good now.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've wondered about the turn signal switch. I've had this same problem for years. The old flasher started to sound like a geiger counter in the presence of massive amounts of radioactivity. Eventually the flasher died. Went to the local JY, and picked up a couple replacement flashers. Both of these did the same. Since my switch doesn't cancel, and I have to hold the RH signal on by hand, I will investigate this.

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
just buy a new combo switch. And a very nice 10mm hex socket for wheel removal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts