Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Intermittant Wiper

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  pod_wizard 
#1 ·
1988 560SL. The wiper intermittant system is not working. All other functions (two manual speeds) work just fine. I replaced the Relay but still does not work. I have read that either the switch in the stearing column is bad or there place where the wires attach to the motor needs to be cleaned and re-installed. Does anyone know where I should look. If so can you tell me how to get at the part, location of the wiper motor or how to get the column switch out and replaced.

Thanks

Bud

#2 ·
I'm not sure about your inquiries but my 1984 500SL is lacking intermittant cycles as well. Could it be that the 2 speeds are all there are? (One of the few complaints I have about the car). I do however try to never drive it in the rain. Do other SL owners have more than the 2 speeds??
Mike

#4 ·
I have a 1986 560SL which I inherited and I have done a lot of reading up on 'em since. pre-1988 560SL did not have intermittent wiper options.

To answer the question about your intermittent wiper not working: There is a relay that controls the intermittent feature. i am not quite sure where it is on these cars but if you can get a hold of a repair manual it is a simple fix. On japanese cars the relay is normally underneath the dash and it is about the size of a color cartridge for your injet printer.

hope this helps...

JC
Irvine, CA

#10 ·
Need help from some SL guys

question about your intermittent wiper not working: There is a relay that controls the intermittent feature.
Hi, I was hoping to see if one of you SL guys could help me.

I've designed a little electronic module that upgrades the relay that controls the intermittent wipers. It allows the intermittent delay time to be programmed and changed on they fly; anywhere from 3 seconds to 30 seconds. No wiring changes to the car, uses the existing stalk switch - strictly plug and play.

It works well in the W123 and W126, but I don't know anyone with a W107 to help me test it.

Anyone willing to help?

Thanks,

#5 ·
JC
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately as I stated in my initial post, I have already replaced the relay, first thing I thought of when it stopped working, but to not avail.

I think I read somewhere, have not been able to locate the article, that there is a contact at the top of the wiper motor that needs servicing. I think the motor is under the dash but am not sure nor to I know how to get at it. Need some help.

Bud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.