Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the benzworld, but have been on the powerstroke.org for a little while now.

I have a 1987 190D 5 speed and the AC doesn't always want to work. Sometimes it'll work just fine for the whole car ride (over 2 hrs) and other times I get in, and it'll shut off right away. Ill turn it off and try it again, and sometimes it'll run for a few minutes and then other times it'll run for a few seconds then shut down again. Normally the blower will also shut off, other times it seems like just the AC shuts down (wont get cold). I know the charge is fine still on the original R12.

It seems like a vacuum leak if I had to guess. But could it be something else before I tear everything apart? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
are you sure its just the AC??

i am having the same problem but it doesn't matter if it's AC or hot.. the blower just quits randomly sometimes... and other times it never turns on from the start.. Usually if that is the case, it will never turn on unless i take out the key, and put it back in... but what i notice on mine is... it always works when the engine is off, but when you turn the engine on, sometimes it stops working and other times it keeps working... i also noticed when it is NOT working, i flick my HIGH beams on, and i can hear the blower momentarily working...

anybody know how the high beams are connected to the blower?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i haven't tried my high beam at all. i have a new blower motor in it, so i don't think its bushings on the motor. i just ordered new vacuum lines so i might try that. mine are in pretty rough shape since i know they are all original. even if it doesn't fix it, it still needs to be done anyways.

·
Premium Member
1986 190E 2.3-16, 1992 190E 2.3, 2015 GL350 BTC, and 2020 GLS450
2,395 Posts
Without connecting diagnostic equipment and measuring volume and flow through your system, it is not possible to accurately diagnose the problem.

However, when cold air turns to warm, that usually indicates a defective compressor. It is unable to maintain steady refrigerant pressure so a safety valve kicks in inside the compressor and shuts off the cold. As to a blower motor that goes on and off, the only experience I have from other owners' cars is that the push button unit is defective and needs to be repaired/replaced. This assumes the blower motor is sound and its connections were properly made when the blower was installed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I highly doubt pit is the compressor. There are too many control devices that are in the whole system.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

1 - 5 of 5 Posts