Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post to this forum. I have a 1984 300D and I've been experiencing a similar leak problem with my vehicle. Everytime it rains, I get a pool of water on the floor behind the driver's seat. My suspicion was that the drains in the moonroof were clogged. I snaked out the two front drains in the moonroof track, but the water leak still occurs.

Does anyone know if there are two corresponding drains in the rear of the moonroof track? I will check the other potential problem areas, as per the previous suggestions, but if anyone knows for sure if there are rear moonroof drains, please let me know. I'd greatly appreciate it. Though not mechanically damaging, this is a very annoying problem and I'd like to take care of it as soon as possible.

Also, where do the rear drains in the moonroof drain to? I know the front ones drain out through an opening in the front door, but where do the rear ones drain to? Perhaps I could attack the problem from that angle.

Also, I know there are drains located under the hood hinges, battery, and master cylinder. Can anyone tell me exactly where to look? While I'm at it, can anyone tell me where I can find a complete layout of my car, either printed out in a book our on a CD-Rom?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Dominic Aulisio
1984 300D

·
Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
how's your rear windscreen seal?

Have you checked the condition of the rear screen seal? It can sometimes leak through the seal into the parcel shelf and down into the rear footwells. Pull out the back seat to see better where the water is leaking from.

You can buy genuine manuals from the MB dealer on CD or Haynes-type manuals (not all that great) from any technically oriented bookstore.

Hope that's some help.

·
Registered
300D
2 Posts
I have a similar problem with a grey market 300D.
Admittedly my car is somewhat rusty, we...

I have a similar problem with a grey market 300D.
Admittedly my car is somewhat rusty, well used and is the classic work beater, however I try to keep up on
maintenance as much as possible. The car has had interior water leaks since I purchased it two years ago.

I have found and partailly repaired one leak over the passenger foot well. Remove the battery and tray and you will have access to a drain. In my case, the point where the body structure curves down to create the drain "funnel" has rusted and allows water to drain in through the firewall and thus onto the floor in the passenger side footwell.

I plugged the hole as best I could with fine mesh screen and fiberglass. It has cut down on the leakage but has not stopped it entirely. I also have large amounts of water on the rear passenger floor and leaking into the trunk. I haven't had time to go hunting these down and would appreciate any suggestions. I am fairly certain the water in the rear is not from the leak described above.

Thanks!

·
BenzWorld W126 Host
NOW: '90 560SEL WALD & SEC front Conversion. EOL:83/500SEC 5,6l 86/300SE 86/420SE 87/420SEL 87/260SE
827 Posts
the trunk leak is most comon because of bad seals under the rear window... could also be...

the trunk leak is most comon because of bad seals under the rear window... could also be bad drain chanals in the trunk either letting water in or not letting it flow out as ment to. when driving you can get leakege through the seals in the rear tail lights if there are rust problems there

as for floor water... if it's getting wet when the car stands still i don't know, but if it's a problem when driving through rain or wet conditions it could be your floor panels that have either come apart or rustet. in both cases it's a simple deal to glue them (as done originaly) or sodder them together

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.