Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much did you pay to get yours redone? I got a quote for $185.. is that a reasonable price? i finally decided that i will have somebody else do the painting rather than myself, im just not confident on doing it. i also had my bumper quoted for repair and it is $780 to repair the 5" rip, paint and all that..the car will be in the shop for 5 days.. u think that is a good price?

FOR SALE: Paasche Air Brush, i got this when i planned to do the rifinishing of the center console myself, never used it. according to TXmudman (sorry dude, had to use your name) this is one of the best out there which is why i go it.

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
I paid 200$ to have my center console repainted. And it started peeling again within a couple of months...

PT

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
112 Posts
I may have to redo the Salsa center console in my 99. Who did you use so that I will not use them.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
Oh man, no apologies necessary!!!

It is not easy to spray those interiors. Airbrushing is pretty difficult. And, leatherworldtech.com provides somewhat inconsistent paint quality, or so I've noticed after ordering 3 times from them. What I mean is, adhesion is always good, but sometimes it is too thin to spray without run problems. The next batch i sometimes real thick. Poor quality control.

The key to getting that satiny finish when air brushing is to use a lot of air and a little bit of paint flow.

If someone will repaint your interior for about $170, that's not a bad deal.

My interior is an odd color. I find that a mix of light shell and shell in a 1:1 ratio is exactly my color. The parts I have touched up are actually more durable than the original finish is now, though.

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
II had it done at Valley Motors MB dealer. They did not do it themselves, but have someone they contract with...

I will look at the receipt later to see if it indicates who did the work.

PT

·
Registered
151 Posts
Krill suggestions for putting real leather in the interior? Not sure I've considered this before. I've got the lovely Oyster interior and love it. It's helped up exceptionally well compared to what I hear from others here. I've only a few minor scratches here and there. I did have some touch-up stain that sadly dried up last year... Loney gave it to me so I don't know where he got it. Looks like it was mail order.

Any suggestions on where to buy a little bit of Oyster stain to touch mine up? I may just ask the dealer when I take mine in for the B service.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
dbottoms - 4/22/2005 4:02 PM

Krill suggestions for putting real leather in the interior? Not sure I've considered this before. I've got the lovely Oyster interior and love it.
you know you can match pretty much every color in Natural Leather ? I went to my buddy's furniture store and he's got huge selection of colors.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'll be going to Bascom Trim And Upholstery this weekend to get another quote on the vynil repair.. maybe i can get the quote on the leather wrapping of the center console also if you guys are interested.. just to have a ballpark figure on how much that would cost.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
slkpwr - 4/22/2005 4:50 PM

i'll be going to Bascom Trim And Upholstery this weekend to get another quote on the vynil repair.. maybe i can get the quote on the leather wrapping of the center console also if you guys are interested.. just to have a ballpark figure on how much that would cost.
I got a qoute to do a leather wapping of rollbars - 400$ - outrageous. I need to an "independent" guy to do the job.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Ya know, I've been mulling over more and more the idea that one member stated here while back....just using latex house paint (blended to match of course).
Don't know why that sounded so sensible to me...latex on latex and all. Guess it is cause I feel Mercedes should have done a better job (tail lights too) and that I'm just a cheap bastard at heart.[:D][:D][:D]

Regards

·
Registered
151 Posts
Didn't the member named Jason from Chicago compile some information on the interior; and even go so far as calling Mercedes of America and complain? I'm not interested in causing a big stink or a few dings in my interior -- mine has held up quite well I think -- but seems like he had some good info on 'touch-up' for our interiors... Does anyone recall? I was considering asking my dealership for some interior touch up at my b-service coming up soon. (I'm at 59,600 miles this morning...)

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
MAX BLAKELY - 4/22/2005 7:34 PM

Ya know, I've been mulling over more and more the idea that one member stated here while back....just using latex house paint (blended to match of course).
Don't know why that sounded so sensible to me...latex on latex and all. Guess it is cause I feel Mercedes should have done a better job (tail lights too) and that I'm just a cheap bastard at heart.[:D][:D][:D]

Regards
That was me. I came to that conclusion about the house latex paint after I finished spraying my house. I noticed that peeled-up overspray paint film seemed every bit as flexible and tough as the $100 I've spent on paints from leatherworldtech.com. And, they can just put the color scanner up to a sample of your interior. I've got it figured out now, though.

Mercedes is no help at all when it comes to interior touch-up. I've heard that Volkswagen owners have had similar interior paint peeling problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts