Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1972 350SL
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 72 is really nice, especially since my son Aaron (1972SL350) worked his magic on the engine this spring. It runs so well, so quiet. Feels new.

I like to drive it so it will never be a show car. Even so, I'm having some paint dings repaired this week and want to go ahead with the seats.

I think I'll switch from MB-Tex to leather on the seats. Color is Parchment. Who are the vendors to consider?

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
My 72 is really nice, especially since my son Aaron (1972SL350) worked his magic on the engine this spring. It runs so well, so quiet. Feels new.

I like to drive it so it will never be a show car. Even so, I'm having some paint dings repaired this week and want to go ahead with the seats.

I think I'll switch from MB-Tex to leather on the seats. Color is Parchment. Who are the vendors to consider?
I bought mine from XKSS, a predecessor of World Upholstery. That was 20+ years ago and they are still like new.

I am sure there are others but I did read threads here about seat covers not fitting, even when bought from suppliers one would think would be reliable.

Be careful about the colours. WU use their own colour codes, but they are very similar numbers to MB codes, but colours are different. Best to get them to send you some samples so you can match. I got samples from several suppliers and even for same code, they differed.

By the way, MB Canada sent me the original colour codes once I gave them my VIN. It was all in German and a bit hard to decipher. I think I posted it on this forum some years back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1972 350SL
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I imagine you get what you pay for. I'm not looking for cheap - looking for fit and quality. Won't ever do this again, so just as well do it right and hope I'm lucky enough to wear them out.

Any poor experiences with World?

I bought mine from XKSS, a predecessor of World Upholstery. That was 20+ years ago and they are still like new.

I am sure there are others but I did read threads here about seat covers not fitting, even when bought from suppliers one would think would be reliable.

Be careful about the colours. WU use their own colour codes, but they are very similar numbers to MB codes, but colours are different. Best to get them to send you some samples so you can match. I got samples from several suppliers and even for same code, they differed.

By the way, MB Canada sent me the original colour codes once I gave them my VIN. It was all in German and a bit hard to decipher. I think I posted it on this forum some years back. http://home.cogeco.ca/~mbz/107trim.pdf

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
Thanks! I imagine you get what you pay for. I'm not looking for cheap - looking for fit and quality. Won't ever do this again, so just as well do it right and hope I'm lucky enough to wear them out.

Any poor experiences with World?
When I bought my seat covers 20+ years ago, they cost about same as they do now. Leather must have come down in price!

Noticed this on WU site. may explain why some covers don't fit:

" Note: Early SLs (Up to ch # 017244) and SLCs (Up to ch # 005749) front seats are discontinued. The '73-'85 kit can fit earlier cars as long as you replace the backrest pad. "
I went cheap on my carpets via eBay and regretted it.

Also got vinyl dye/paint from WU and spruced up console.

Attachments

·
Registered
'89 300TE, '79 450SL, '01 ML320
1,051 Posts
I've used both World and GAHH, both offer excellent quality. Only had one problem with World, about 15 years ago,
they sent a seat back for an XK140 with a crooked pleat. They cross shipped a replacement the same day.
If you're sure that you're only going with the seats, World has a better price and includes the headrest, back panel and armrest.
If you think you might catch 'leather fever' GAHH offers door panels too, I've never seen Parchment from both companies
side by side so there is a chance the shades may be off. I can say that the blue leather from both does not match.

Last, but not least, check the note at World about fitment on your '72...

Note: Early SLs (Up to ch # 017244) and SLCs (Up to ch # 005749) front seats are discontinued. The '73-'85 kit can fit earlier cars as long as you replace the backrest pad.

Fish

·
Registered
1981 380SL
256 Posts
Given that you actually like to drive your SL, might MBTex remain a better option? Just something to consider.

I'm thinking about unexpected rain showers, yard sprinklers that suddenly come on next to your parked car, etc., etc.

All of my convertibles (all makes) have always had vinyl interiors, and I always carry a towel. I'd be interested in hearing other's experiences with leather.

·
Registered
Now: 14 E350 Coupe; 86 560SL Then: 73 280SEL 4.5; 80 300SD; 82 300SD; 98 E350; 08 GL320; 11 E350
1,058 Posts
I installed new leather this spring from GAHH. Cannot be happier. Great fit and excellent material.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1972 350SL
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You make a good point. I have been caught in the rain - though it won't happen as often here in AZ as in FL. It is just that there is nothing like the feel of leather. Have it in my 89 E320, of course, and in my wife's 2006 Subaru Outback 4-door sedan without a spoiler. The only one in that config I've ever seen. A beautiful car - but I digress.

Short of a downpour, would not quality leather withstand some sprinkles?

Given that you actually like to drive your SL, might MBTex remain a better option? Just something to consider.

I'm thinking about unexpected rain showers, yard sprinklers that suddenly come on next to your parked car, etc., etc.

All of my convertibles (all makes) have always had vinyl interiors, and I always carry a towel. I'd be interested in hearing other's experiences with leather.

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
Short of a downpour, would not quality leather withstand some sprinkles?
I have leather and I hardly recall it getting wet, except when washing the car! On one occasion when I had left the top down while playing golf there was some rain. But it wasn't much and after a quick wipe it was good as new. The leather has a lot of natural oils and rain beads up on it and runs off.

If I am going to leave the car for any length of time, I now make a point of putting the top up. I don't even latch it - just up enough to keep it covered. I sometime think a tonneau cover like the British cars use might be an idea. But that might be solving a problem that doesn't exist.

At home, the car is always garaged, so no problem there.

·
Registered
'89 300TE, '79 450SL, '01 ML320
1,051 Posts
Cows are waterproof :D

I've had the original leather seats from mine sitting on the porch all summer...
they look no worse than they did when I pulled them out.
A little Lexol a couple tmes a year and you're good to go.
Suede on the other hand :eek:

Fish

·
Registered
'86 560SL 101,000 mi
71 Posts
Cows are waterproof :D

I've had the original leather seats from mine sitting on the porch all summer...
they look no worse than they did when I pulled them out.
A little Lexol a couple tmes a year and you're good to go.
Suede on the other hand :eek:

Fish
Agreed. Having driven SLs with both MBTex and leather, I prefer the leather. More comfortable. A little bit of TLC with some leather conditioner, while you do an interior cleaning, and you're good to go!

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,568 Posts
Very old mbtex > very old leather
New leather >>> new mbtex

Mbtex doesn't age like leather does after about 10+ years. Leather might ultimately crack and split after it dries out. Mbtex is less likely to split or tear.

Leather is much more comfortable though and though it might not breath a ton, at least it breaths some. That makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
I bought r129 seat covers from diamondmall on ebay and the quality and fitment was excellent. I'm ordering my r107 covers from him when i get around to it, heres the link mercedes benz w107 560sl 450sl 380sl MB Tex seat covers | eBay
I bought my top from them and it was excellent quality. Actually made by Germanex, I believe. But it seems that with Diamomdmall, you are dealing with an individual rather than a company. Companies like WU and GAHH have a reputation to maintain while eBay stores can come and go. At least WU are aware that early SL seat covers are different from the later models. Others may not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts