Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
300GD 5 dr 1987, W126 420SE, W126 560SE
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our members 'Minty Muller' had a velour interior and wanted leather, he managed to find a good but dirty one so he came over to me this weekend and I helped him renovate and install it
Sorry its only the iPhone camera but gives you an idea of how nice it looks
I will post a few photos too

Guy interior - YouTube

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its beautiful condition NOW! LOL
It was a good basis and only a little scuffed in places and the bolster needed a bit of work as it was worn but not badly; as always it looked worse as it had faded to very pale
It took a day to clean, soften and re dye where necessary
I used G850 to clean it, Leatherique and Gliptone colour

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,135 Posts
Ah you Gliptoned it? Was that just for the scuffs then?

I tried that with less than brilliant results.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It depends on how you put it on and the prep really.
I degreased the leather with g850 then let it dry overnight
Then sprayed the finish it does look fantastic though... you will have to come over one weekend and we'll do yours

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,135 Posts
It does look fantastic. So you sprayed the Gliptone?

Mine looked spanking not long ago but the rear reclining bench I put in was pretty tatty, I rejuvenated it a bit but the one I had before was literally like new. The front seats did look great but not in comparism to Mintys new ones!

And I did the scuffed bolster with Gliptone, it was reasonable at first but didn't age well at all. It discoloured when it got dirty after an oily MOT man got in and out of it.
Having seen the pics you just posted of Mintys car, it shamed me into going out and just scrubbing off the discoloured Gliptone, lol.

I'd be very interested to see how Mintys seats age, if its good then count me in if they would look as good as that!

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Minty was very surprised at how dirty the velour interior was once it was out of the car and also how dirty the leather one was after it had been cleaned...

The colouring process was done properly and sprayed on, which I think is by far the best way to do it.
I did mine a month ago so it has had time to dry and settle completely before I put it in the car but it does really need a week of no use to get it to dry out completely..

You can get a sealer for it too but the art is to 'black sack' any mechanics that get in without covering first!!

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,135 Posts
My friendly garage finds it amusing when I fuss about dirt :) I had black sacked but the bolster bit peeped out, as it does protrude.
That sealant sounds a good idea. I did a steering wheel a while ago, dyed black with sealant over the top. Looked fantastic and didn't wear, but that was black.

Was your Gliptone a good colour match?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had black sacked but the bolster bit peeped out, as it does protrude.
Was your Gliptone a good colour match?
I meant black sack the mechanic....LOL

Colour match was spot on to the original but it had faded quite a lot...
Did you use Gliptone for the steering wheel and the sealer?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,135 Posts
haha :) Nah they are lovely really, been using them for years now.

I used some small pot of dye from ebay for the steering wheel, and sealed it after, looked great but then it was black all over so pretty easy.

My Gliptone for the seats was a poor colour match, I tried to tint it a bit but it still wasn't great. Leatherique dye sounds interesting, its just the effort of posting a sample piece to them in the US!

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
753 Posts
Hi, that looks amazing, could you let me know what type of equipment you used to spray with? I used an airbrush with leatherique, but did find it pretty fiddly and seemed to dry quite grainy. I guess a small HLVP gun might be a better idea for more flow, is this what you used?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried a gravity fed HVLP and didn't get on with it so I used my much more comfortable devilbiss.
The reason it went powdery was too much air and too far away, especially if the day was warm.
They do tend to be a bit matt anyway; most of these formulations come with gloss enhancers.

·
Registered
MB 300SE '90, anthrazite grey, black leather
192 Posts
I've heard some good things about this place as well Car Interiors Leather Repair & Restoration
Yes; I ordered a leather repair kit from furnitureclinic and I have to say I was/am very pleased with the products/results. Used for example the "Heavy Filler" to fill 5 cm wide a gash in the driver's seat back, it worked very well. Did the same with my steering wheel (where the stichings had come apart; glue + filler), and I then painted the whole wheel afterwards (as well as the shifter knob).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts