Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed out the non-dimming, lava lamp (flip the mirror over and the oil bubble looks like a lava lamp) rear view mirror.

$186.00. Worth it, new unit has been improved.

1 Open the top.

2 Remove the 4 screws that hold the 2 sun visors on.

3 Gently pull up and out on the upper console it will slide right off. Flip it over and place it on the windshield.

4 Insert a small screwdriver into hole in back of mirror mount.

5 Rotate the mount (using the screwdriver as a lever) in either direction 90 degrees. The mirror will come off the mount.

6 Disconnect the wire plug, connect the new wire plug and put everything back in the reverse order of the above.

Make sure,
There are no wires on top of the garage door unit or it will bulge out when you put the console back on.

Pull all the perimeter rubber back out over the edges of the console when finished.

I disconnected the wire at the plug to disable the microphone, just in case anyone is listening in.
[:)]

The new mirror is made by the same company "Donner".
It is improved over the original.
It dims depending on the light intensity and the background color is black not green.
It is more natural looking with a black background.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Can we get some pictures?

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea
I will put them up tomorrow.

Used a disposable camera, have to develope them.

My digital is on loan to a friend.

It was very easy, only 4 screws and a few slide clips hold it on.

·
Registered
629 Posts
AMPM - 3/12/2004 9:08 PM

Changed out the non-dimming, lava lamp (flip the mirror over and the oil bubble looks like a lava lamp) rear view mirror...

Make sure,
There are no wires on top of the garage door unit or it will bulge out when you put the console back on.

It dims depending on the light intensity and the background color is black not green.
Good info thanks!

You are better than the dealer who just replaced mine under warranty - they left wires hanging out so it took two trips to get it right and now I know why the new one doesn't turn green like the driver's door mirror. The new mirror is much better. Dimming when you need it rather than always looking so dark (green)!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ok so I got hold of an auto-dimming rear view mirror eventually, arrived this morning, followed the instructions (very clear, thanks) and removed my old mirror. Thats when I discovered I have no socket to plug the new mirror into [xx(]. I guess as my car wasn't originally ordered with this option there seems to be nowhere to plug it in. Is it possible to power it from the interior light wiring?? The mirror wiring in the plug is numbered:
1. Grey
2. blank
3. black
4. white
5. brown
6. yellow....
...are all these required to power the mirror??

Interior light wiring different colours again:

1. brown
2. brown / yellow
3. brown / blue
4. red / blue

Anyone know which wire is which?
Any help would be much appreciated... [:)]

·
Registered
336 Posts
That's funny, I don't remember having a dark green mirror. Hmmm...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where did you buy the mirror from? I need to replace mine. Its looks like a lava lamp now. And it happened after I picked it up from the dealer.

Thanks
-sak

·
Registered
28 Posts
sak77 - 8/9/2005 11:44 AM

Where did you buy the mirror from? I need to replace mine. Its looks like a lava lamp now. And it happened after I picked it up from the dealer.

Thanks
-sak
Does anyone know the answer to SAK's question? Or at least the MB Part number so I can call my dealer and get the correct part? I'm in the same boat as these guys are. The top half of my rearview looks like a regular mirror and the bottom half is kind of green.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guest said:
Hello,

Have needed to replace my 'lava lamp' for some time.

Thanks for the detailed instructions, should be a breeze. Just need to buy one, please post a reply where you bought yours.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I got a replacement from my local MB dealer. The part number is 170-810-04-17. List price is $160. Be sure to ask for the "club member" price, which is $144.

BTW: The "club" is MBCA, if anyone is interested in joining...

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
page62 said:
I got a replacement from my local MB dealer. The part number is 170-810-04-17. List price is $160. Be sure to ask for the "club member" price, which is $144.

Kind of makes it worth joining the Club doesn't it ???:D :D :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
page62 said:

Thanks for the part number and club price... I also have an annoying crack in my windshield anyway, so I need to replace them both.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 SLK320 and there's a slight difference... besides the visor screws, there are also two screws under the dome light lens. I noticed the broken plastic after pulling up and out on the console cover. Also, just taking the lens cover off cracked the narrow black portion at the bottom, and I thought I was being very carefull. I'm hoping a bit of super glue will fix both problems. Once the console cover was off, the 90 degree turn did the trick. I happened to use a 4mm hex key. My mirror went lava 1 week after I picked it up from the dealer. An exchange replacement is available from Sybesma’s Electronics 616-392-6911 for $75.00 plus shipping.

2003 SLK320, 18,000 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Donner the manufacturer of this mirror does not handle repairs or warranty work. However they did tell me about a company that does repair them. It is Syesmas Electronics in MI at 800-456-4265. For $75.00 plus 2 way shipping (they send out a refirbished one and include a shipping form to send your broken one back) it was about $100 for me since shipping and handling both ways is about $25.00 for Florida.

You will have to take the mirror off twice (good practice) because before they will ship you a refirbished one, they want you to take pictures of the mirror including the electrical connector. This is so they can assess the condition of your mirror and make sure you have the right replacement mirror coming out to you.

Another guy mentioned he could get a new one a the stealership for $140 if you mention a Merecedes Club as a discount so I am wondering for $40 and having to deal with taking it off twice is worth getting a refirbished over a brand new one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have no experience with him, but I understand that Scott Wheeler at Radar-Mirror in Frisco, Texas

Scott Wheeler
Radar-Mirror.com
4319 Glenhurst Lane
Frisco, TX 75033

can repair and return your failed auto dimming mirror for $99 (one year warranty) or $119 (lifetime warranty), with a typical turn around of one day in his shop. His web page for mirror repairs is
His contact email address is [email protected], and his phone number is 972-571-7427.

My own mirror has gone "lava lamp" too, and even on line I'm seeing prices over $400 for an auto dimming OEM replacement. Have any of you used Radar-Mirror, and can you recommend them as an option?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts