Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear view mirror, like many of it's vintage, was getting pretty beat up from the sun. As I had a windshield replacement coming, I waited for the windshield guy to dismantle everything which revealed a lot of information relative to a number of issues I had with the car. For example, no auto headlight operation, no rain sensing wipers, etc. Upon removal, we found that the existing (broken) windshield was not the correct one, as it didn't have the mount for the rain/headlight sensor (which was missing, but anticipating that it had failed I had a spare on hand) and the rear view mirror mounting clip was damaged and the PO had kludged a shim out of the small piece of metal to hold it in place.

So the new rain sensor went on the new windshield, but I didn't have a new rear view mirror.

I hit the EPC to look up the number for my mirror to find that the replacement was over $800. Yikes!!

Knowing that there were a number of different model mirrors, I started looking around on venues such as eBay. I found a seller that had some similar part numbers (not the same) in a different color than mine for under $50 that were brand new. As best I could tell they were similar to my original mirror, but being willing to give up some features if only to get a new and properly fitting mirror, I went ahead and ordered one.

The new mirror came today in an original Mercedes box. Other than being gray, it's the exact same mirror as the one that was in my car as far as I can tell. Courtesy lights, the little sensing buttons on the bottom, auto dimming sensor, etc., were all there, just like my original mirror. Final cost was under $50 with shipping.

The seller on eBay was "adsitco" and the part number they were listing was 1638101717. That should be enough for someone to find them in a search. I made an offer for $35.00 and they accepted immediately. With the $12.00 and change for shipping I got a new mirror for roughly $47.00. Nice.

·
Purple Moderator
21,635 Posts
Adsitco has been around a very long time. I used to get their printed catalog. I am glad they came for you.
Got genuine wheels from them for an old 190E 2.6 for $75 apiece brand new.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adsitco has been around a very long time. I used to get their printed catalog. I am glad they came for you.
Got genuine wheels from them for an old 190E 2.6 for $75 apiece brand new.
I have an unpleasant history with them, as do a number of people I know. In 1988 I owned a 1979 300TD. The clock had failed in it and I was looking for a replacement. A good friend of mine owns a Mercedes parts business in California, and he happened to have an NOS (new old stock) clock on the shelf he offered to me. I was calling around to other suppliers to possibly find a used one and happened to call Adsit, as I'm originally from Central Indiana and knew of them.

They said they had a used clock on the shelf and quoted me a price. It was astronomical. I asked them to confirm the price, as it was more than the NOS clock my friend had offered me. When I told them I could get an NOS clock for much less than their used clock, which was why I was questioning the price they quoted, I got a stream of profanity directed at me, my friend, and pretty much anyone else who might have been nearby. Then they accused me of trying to "J*w them down", which I found equally offensive.

That was pretty much the beginning and the end of my experience with Adsit. I figured it was worth a chance to see if they had improved, and I'm glad to see they appear to be doing a far better job with their customer service. I would buy from them again based on this experience.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm confused...doesn't your original post recommend them?
It does.

I'm merely relating why I'm pleased that they have improved their customer service skills. Did you miss that part of my post?

I figured it was worth a chance to see if they had improved, and I'm glad to see they appear to be doing a far better job with their customer service. I would buy from them again based on this experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Noodles
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing