Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, my first post on here as I have recently purchased a 280 sl 1984 roadster. It is a bit of a project and in taking it to a re-upholsterer I have been told the seats and the door cards are not original?! Bit of a blow as I assumed they were! They certainly look the right age for the car but the chap pointed out that the seats which are grey leather have a black trim which he hadn't seen before, and the door cards have a stitched detail, rather than the perforated finish. Can anyone confirm if they have seen similar before and if it is factory or not?!

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
2,291 Posts
Welcome to the forum James. Based on your description the interior does sound aftermarket, if you could post a pic or two that would greatly help determine with certainty if that's the case or not.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Yep, as Cousin said - aftermarket. It's a pretty good fit color wise.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Ideally you want to restore to original condition, that would yield the greatest value - but the investment required may defeat the purpose. I think you ought to consider what the priorities are, most 30+ year old cars come with strings attached in terms of mechanical / maintenance effort etc. and take it from there. If you like the interior keep it, it's your car so as long as you're happy with it that's all that matters. :)

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,109 Posts
I like the look of the black piping on the seats but 99% sure it's not original. Enjoy the car and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Agreed, very nice!

·
5 Posts
Mine's not original either but I prefer what the PO did and wouldn't dream of restoring to original . VIVE LE DIFFERENCE!
It seems to be a bit strange answering to my own posting, however I noted that in the sidelines I am shown to have joined the forum 4 days ago. In fact when I tried to post back then the whole thing went squirly and I ended up having to rejoin in order to post at all, and I have no idea how to contact a moderator to have my status straightened out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like the look of the black piping on the seats but 99% sure it's not original. Enjoy the car and don't worry about it.
Mercedes did do different things sometimes on show cars. There was a 190SL made for, I believe if memory serves me, the 1956 New York show. The car was painted an orange-red, the leather seats were white and with red piping. After the show, the car was given to Charles Van Doren. I saw it when his son was having it restored at Bruce Adams shop. There were a couple of special things they did on that car (insignia on the back of the side-view mirror; Bosch inscribed on the headlamp eye brows) that I figured, if Mercedes did it, then when my 190SL was being restored I certainly could. I would not worry so much about the leather until you have to replace it.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,590 Posts
It seems to be a bit strange answering to my own posting, however I noted that in the sidelines I am shown to have joined the forum 4 days ago. In fact when I tried to post back then the whole thing went squirly and I ended up having to rejoin in order to post at all, and I have no idea how to contact a moderator to have my status straightened out.
A moderator can't straighten that out. Did you receive my PM yesterday?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys, my first post on here as I have recently purchased a 280 sl 1984 roadster. It is a bit of a project and in taking it to a re-upholsterer I have been told the seats and the door cards are not original?! Bit of a blow as I assumed they were! They certainly look the right age for the car but the chap pointed out that the seats which are grey leather have a black trim which he hadn't seen before, and the door cards have a stitched detail, rather than the perforated finish. Can anyone confirm if they have seen similar before and if it is factory or not?!
Don't have answer to your problem but I owned a 1969 280SL in the 1980's. Loved it. Sold long ago!

·
Registered
1988 560sl
43 Posts
I'm looking forward to installing some replacement door skins myself. One of the things that bothers me most on my car sitting in it is the stupid cup holders that were installed on the doors (and constantly fall open). The skins from GermanAutoTops look like original as far as I can tell. I'll certainly enjoy the original look and not worry about not being "factory". I guess the originals can go up in the attic if I ever sell to someone who wants them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts