Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 240D
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to know the installed height of the black plastic covers which protect the vacuum lines through the cabin. this in order to replace the carpet underlayment evenly. i'm guessing that the measurement is in the range of 7mm. anyone who can give me a clue, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
77 240D
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
obviously i would have done that instead of waiting for a response if the car were accessible.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
There are black plastic covers on the corner of the running board and floor board, as well as those curving into the B pillar and into the rear seat under the rear passenger carpet. I think you need to be more specific.

Are you after the height of the black plastic cover? IIRC the carpeting should have the black backing material to even out these uneven height issue.

·
Registered
77 240D
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fair enough mbeige, i had assumed they were all the same height but perhaps that was incorrect.

this is what i get for taking apart the interior, stashing the carpet pieces in the trunk for months on end, and leaving the car at the workshop.... delicious uncertainty!

·
Registered
77 240D
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am trying to determine which thicknesses of closed cell foam to purchase (3/8", etc.) for sound absorption under the carpet and everywhere else. in the trunk i think i'll use 3/4". this of course in addition to a mass loading product, but that's so thin that it doesn't require much planning.

anyone curious can see the products i'm looking at here: Foam N' More & Upholstery

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Oh right I've actually bought that sound insulation stuff from the dealer before. If I remember correctly it was about 1cm thick. If I stumble across it in the garage I'll measure it and post back...

...wish me luck the garage as always is a mess...

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
i am trying to determine which thicknesses of closed cell foam to purchase (3/8", etc.) for sound absorption under the carpet and everywhere else. in the trunk i think i'll use 3/4". this of course in addition to a mass loading product, but that's so thin that it doesn't require much planning.

anyone curious can see the products i'm looking at here: Foam N' More & Upholstery
The black plastic channels are not the only items you need to consider. The floor pan isn't completely flat, there are raised portions as part of the metal itself.

What you can probably do is check out the carpets from the car you're working on, and grab the "mold" of the black rubberized portion as a template.

·
Registered
77 240D
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mbeige, i think you're right that i need to do this with the carpet in hand. i do want to do a good job so i had better have all the parts in front of me before i commit to the sizes. thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts