Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300E - Diamond Blue, 1997 SL320 - Black Opal
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, on my 1988 300E are the gear selector letters (PRND32) supposed to be illuminated? I am guessing that there should be a light down there somewhere, but mine has always been dark.

With winter here on the prairies I do shift on icy roads and its a bit of pain at night when I can't see what gear I am in.

Also gets fun after a bit of driving as once the car warms up, the heater control panel is no longer illuminated either.

Thanks

jb

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much - another project for the winter.

jb

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
You can have the wood removed in 5minutes. Soon as the wood is out, you can get to the bulb. It is on the underside of the shifter unit towards the front. It either fell out, or the bulb is gone :thumbsup:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up on this - finally got the time free in my schedule to complete the replacement. Easy job as stated above.

One note tho. In one of my manuals it states to remove the flexible rubber boot / gasket that goes around the PRND32 panel (see photo).

It was not necessary to remove this. And my advice, DO NOT remove it. It came out very easy but getting it back on was a pain and required much cutting and fiddling.

jb

Attachments

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
There is an early/late design issue here. From what I've seen most of 1988 MY production uses a soft rubbery ring around the shift panel and that piece is stapled to the wood trim piece from below. Toward the end of the model year, though, the rubbery ring was no longer used. Instead a ring of hard plastic (PP?) snaps into the gap between the wood trim piece and the shifter box. That hard plastic piece must be removed to lift the wood panel.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on the previous comment I will revise my suggestion. If you have the rubbery type ring DO NOT remove it - it comes off easy but goes on very difficultly. I had to modify the plastic retainer it snaps in to simply to get the rubbery ring back in to place.

jb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts