Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is in back corner of garage - not much natural light there (especially at night!). Wanted to unplug clock so it doesn't run battery down over winter. Also wanted to get my garage door opener.

On my car, there are just two interior lights and both are at floor level. They don't do much good! I was fumbling in dark!

Are the newer 107's the same?

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
...which is where the other interior lights on the roadster are. There is a switch on the dash near the antenna switch that turns the overhead lights on.
On later models. I don't know when MB added them, but the upper lights aren't on my 78. I've seen windshield header trim pieces that have the spots for them, though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
to unplug clock so it doesn't run battery down over winter.
Why don't you just unhook one of the battery cables at the battery? Easier to get to than the clock wire.

On my car, there are just two interior lights and both are at floor level. They don't do much good! I was fumbling in dark!

Are the newer 107's the same?
I know all 560SL's have the overhead windshield frame lights. I believe 1984 is when the outside temp guage was installed, so suspect the lights were too.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,060 Posts
My '83 has the overhead light.
How long are you storing the car? I don't do anything because I start it and move it out of the garage once a month.
Disconnecting the battery would be the easiest.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My '83 has the overhead light.
How long are you storing the car? I don't do anything because I start it and move it out of the garage once a month.
Disconnecting the battery would be the easiest.
We are away for at least two months - maybe longer. I could disconnect the battery, but on these old cars, the only draw is the clock. I can remove it and pull the plug in about 2 minutes using an old table knife that is always in the door pocket. Been doing this for 18 years! When I do want to start the car it starts fine without having to reconnect anything ;)

What I would like to find, is the glove box lamp that appears to also work as a map light. It was missing when I bought my car back in '89. Are these available anywhere?

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,826 Posts
My 1978 Mercedes Benz 450SLC C107 Coupe has passenger compartment courtesy lights located in headers above both the front wind screen and rear glass.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
What I would like to find, is the glove box lamp that appears to also work as a map light. It was missing when I bought my car back in '89. Are these available anywhere?
These are unavailable through MB. I bought the last one shown in MB inventory and dealer inventories across the US. Try MB Classic Center - they may be able to source it for you. By the way, they are wimpy, but they do work.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mine was missing on my 73 when I got it. I ordered one from the local MB dealer. I don't remember the price, but it was less than $50.

These are unavailable through MB. I bought the last one shown in MB inventory and dealer inventories across the US. Try MB Classic Center - they may be able to source it for you. By the way, they are wimpy, but they do work.
smack when did you get yours? I got mine sometime this summer. I remember a thread here that talked about only a few left. Maybe I got lucky and one of the last ones.

Nevermind I see when in the link below.

Here's the link from an earlier discussion on the glovebox light...and it looks like I forgot to post the pic like I said I would. I still can if anyone is interested.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1321744-glove-box-light-flashlight-missing.html?highlight=glovebox

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 79 has upper lamps in the windshield header, but no matter what I do I can't get any juice to them. Lamps are good, fuses are good...no juice. Also, I have fog lights but can't find any way to turn them on??? But I live in Arizona, so don't have much use for them anyway.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,060 Posts
My 79 has upper lamps in the windshield header, but no matter what I do I can't get any juice to them. Lamps are good, fuses are good...no juice. Also, I have fog lights but can't find any way to turn them on??? But I live in Arizona, so don't have much use for them anyway.
Come on, you trying to tell us it doesn't get dark in Arizona?

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Pull the switch out. To turn on the fog lamps, turn your headlights to on and then pull the switch back toward you. It will pop into a detente.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Pull the switch out. To turn on the fog lamps, turn your headlights to on and then pull the switch back toward you. It will pop into a detente.
I had no idea just turning on the fog lights would ease the tension between me and my car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
13 Participants
cookie79
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing