Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2010 E350 4Matic Sedan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found that the passenger footwell light does not come on at all. A few weeks ago the passenger side light of the dome light also would not come on (e.g., when the door opens) unless I manually turned it on.

I also recently went through the car wash only to have water leak into the footwell on both sides of the car as well as into the cabin through the moonroof. After looking at a few posts here, it seems that I might have an electrical issue due to the leaking.

Does anyone know if this could be or is the case? Also, do you know if the footwell light and passenger dome light are connected on the same circuit or connected in any way?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 ML350, 1999 C230K, 1991 300SEL
502 Posts
Anyone have an answer to this? Sorry to dig up an old thread but this one gets as close to my problem as I can find.

One difference:
The passenger side dome light and footwell light do not come on at all (door open, closed, manually turning it on). However, about once in about 30 tries pressing the dome light to turn it on, it will indeed turn on along with the footwell light, meaning the bulbs are not out. Can anyone tell me what this means?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
The dome light and footwell light is in fact connected on either side (passenger/driver).
What happens when you press the unlock button on your remote?

·
Registered
502 Posts
The dome light and footwell light is in fact connected on either side (passenger/driver).
What happens when you press the unlock button on your remote?
When I press unlock only the driver's side dome and foot well lights come on.

What happens when you open the right front door?
When I open the right front door only the drivers side dome and foot well lights come on.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
When I press unlock only the driver's side dome and foot well lights come on.

When I open the right front door only the drivers side dome and foot well lights come on.
So when you open up the driver's door, the dome light and the driver's foot well light come on, but not on the passenger side. Correct?

The only problem is with the passenger side. Correct?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
Then it would seem that the push button switch for the passenger dome light is faulty.

Using a small pocket screwdriver, pry out the Garage Door Opener, then the lenses at the points indicated in red.

Remove both clear plastic lenses and manually push each switch and you should feel a difference in how they operate.

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
Then it would seem that the push button switch for the passenger dome light is faulty.

Using a small pocket screwdriver, pry out the Garage Door Opener, then the lenses at the points indicated in red.

Remove both clear plastic lenses and manually push each switch and you should feel a difference in how they operate.
You're absolutely right. I took apart the dome light and they seemed about the same. I then took apart the button itself and it completely fell apart. I put it back together but it would not stay together tight enough for the plastic button to press the button beneath (the bottom half of the plastic button would just move with the button rather than press the electrical button beneath).

So... I tried to super-glue the outside of the button together. Big mistake. The plastic button and spring assembly is glued shut. Currently soaking in acetone.

The good news: when the button is held together it works perfectly, I just need to figure out how to keep it together (maybe a paper clamp?).

Anyways thanks for the help! Especially 43sqd, genius of a man!

·
Registered
502 Posts
You can order a replacement switch ,part #527PB-ND, from Digi-Key. Then cut and splice the wires accordingly.

I copied and pasted the links and they come up as Invalid Requests, but they still work. Here is a screenshot of it.

Invalid Request

Invalid Request
Thank you 43sqd. You're a wonderful resource. Part should be on the way soon.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Installed the button by splicing the wires. Simple 20 minute job and such a cheap fix and simple diagnosis. The lighting issue is fully resolved. This forum never ceases to amaze me. Thanks again 43sqd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts