Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, I am getting around to thinking about some interior lights for the footwells inside the ML...surprised that I can find none in mine. Anyone else have them as standard equipment?

How difficult would it be to install some lighting, preferably LED's?

best regards,

dave

·
Registered
BMW 2007 X3 3.0si, 1999 ML 320 -Sold-
356 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same in mine. It shouldn't be that hard, just have to tap a 12V DC wire to one of those flexible LED strips (someone posted a link on what they bought before here) and mount it where it isn't visible. I would just keep in mind that you might want the "warm white" lights instead of the super white lights because it might wash the color out.

As far as i know they did not make the footwell lights in the '99 MLs at all, but i can be wrong.

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
Finally, I am getting around to thinking about some interior lights for the footwells inside the ML...surprised that I can find none in mine. Anyone else have them as standard equipment?

best regards,

dave
hey dave, just making sure I clearly understand your intention. you say interior lights for the footwells. is that to say the lights under L & R side of dashboard that shine down, or the lights underneath each door (haven't checked my rears to know if all 4), or door sills--i.e. the chrome plated MB stamp in the doorway? I would love door lighted sills but my wife and her clk have a better use for my money right now;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey dave, just making sure I clearly understand your intention. you say interior lights for the footwells. is that to say the lights under L & R side of dashboard that shine down, or the lights underneath each door (haven't checked my rears to know if all 4), or door sills--i.e. the chrome plated MB stamp in the doorway? I would love door lighted sills but my wife and her clk have a better use for my money right now;)
Hey, good point! Yes, I was asking about the lights underneath the dashboard that would shine down...but now with your suggestion, it would be just a little more trouble to add lights in the bottom of the doors to shine down to the ground.:thumbsup:

Anyone have any links to this having been done before?

thanks,

dave

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts

best regards,

dave
Why? Have trouble finding the brake paddle? I hope you are not driving here in my neighbourhood.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will ignore your comment and future responses until you can answer as an adult rather than an immature adolescent.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
You mean like these? You should have them too.
I see davegt has a 1999 model year ML.

Were those interior lights available in that year?

I'm not sure myself but I do know that my mother's 98 ML doesn't have them.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3
2,982 Posts
I see davegt has a 1999 model year ML.

Were those interior lights available in that year?

I'm not sure myself but I do know that my mother's 98 ML doesn't have them.
That would explain it. I never thought the earlier interiors did not have these lights. Wow.

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
Boca & FAR bring up a good point. Can you park your ML in a truly dark locale & check? Just checked mine in the garage, & yes all 4 doors + footwells = 6 & no, zero door sills as I believe they are after-market. Considering a correlation here; do you have 'theater' lighting as on option? i.e. when you close the door to get in does the light go 'off' or 'fade' away:confused: do you have a '99 manual to confirm? I'm thinking MB took a different stance on 'std parckage' lighting somewhere around '00 as a feature or option for 430s & > based on what you have told us. I hope for you it's only a bad bulb:eek:

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
on my '98 ML320, there are no foot well lights (read below). However, there are lights on the bottom of the front doors as well as overhead lights for rear doors.

While I was typing this message, I recall seeing a footwell light attached to the footwell cover (I had to remove this cover when replacing the Cabin Filter). hmmmmm, may be the bulbs are burnt out on the footwell lights. I will check and report back.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You mean like these? You should have them too.
Yes,! Something like that would be great...I checked again this morning and there is no sign of a light on either footwell or either door. My wife's Navigator has both the footwell lights and the puddle lights and they are quite handy. Any ideas short of the dealer installing some?

thanks for the input...:cool:

dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts