Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 E320 interior light stays for a long time before shutting off (~5+minutes). I looked through the manual but it does not say whether it is supposed to stay that long. Is this normal? Is there a way to set it to fade out in few seconds?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out door switches... one is probably not recognizing that door is closed
Is the door switch at the side of the doors? All the doors are properly closed. I can lock the all the doors while inside the car. Shouldn't a door not be able to lock if it is recognized to not be properly closed?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Is the door switch at the side of the doors? All the doors are properly closed. I can lock the all the doors while inside the car. Shouldn't a door not be able to lock if it is recognized to not be properly closed?
The door will lock, but the alarm will not arm.

It sounds right that it's a door switch. The lights will go off after about 5 mins if you leave a door open, so it seems that is what is happening. This is a known fault.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The door will lock, but the alarm will not arm.

It sounds right that it's a door switch. The lights will go off after about 5 mins if you leave a door open, so it seems that is what is happening. This is a known fault.
So you're saying the alarm is supposed to be activated when I locked the doors with the remote while inside the vehicle and I put the key in the Ignition?

·
Registered
413 Posts
mine does this too, but it only affects the rear internal lights.
the chap at the main stealer suggested the switch inside the tailgate lock, which i found to be ok, the other door switches are ok too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine does this too, but it only affects the rear internal lights.
the chap at the main stealer suggested the switch inside the tailgate lock, which i found to be ok, the other door switches are ok too.
Where is the tailgate lock? Is it the drunk lock?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, my trunk locked fine. It must be something else then. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
595 Posts
With all the doors and trunk close and light off, try open and close the door one at a time and then the trunk which one take longest time might give a clue to the bad switch, I guess worth a try.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Instead of waiting for timed delay while checking door switches turn key to position 2 then open and close each door. Interior light will respond instantly.

OP has two threads going on same issue. Interior lights, central locking and remote locking are all related.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys are correct. It seem the problem is with the door switch. I activated the door light and tried opening and pushing in one door switch at a time to see with one will turn off the light quicker. None did except for the driver side. It seems the driver side door switch is not working very well.

Now, my question is how difficult is it to replace the door switch? Do I have to take out the panel on the side of the door? I have not done this before so some instructions (possibly with some pictures) will be greatly helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Here the part that you need. You can get from the dealer also unless you getsomething else at the same time to make $ 50.00 for free shipping.
Look like you will have to take the cover from inside and disconnect the wire plug and depress the clip to take the or push the switch to outside if you get that far putting back in should be easy enough. The switch locate just below the striker on my 97 E320.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/cart.aspx?sid=dtdcan45pyfagkzyauovck55&[email protected]&[email protected]&year=2000&[email protected], Trim & Lighting&[email protected] Jamb Switch

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I just need to replace the switch, correct? There are places online where I can get the switch or can get it at a dealer but would like to know a step by step procedure on removing the old one. Has anybody done this before?

I looked online and found this video on how to replace c-class door switch. Is it the same procedure for the E-class? Also, I don't quite understand what he did to have access to the door switch behind.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked at the door switch this morning it seems to be slightly pushed in. Does anybody know how the guy in the youtube video took his out in less than a minute? Is the way it is done with the C-class different from the E-class? It seems he pushed something to get the switch out. Does anyone know what he pushed to get the switch out?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Part number is (according the russian part number site) either
A 202 820 21 10 or
A 202 820 94 10 or
A 168 820 19 10 (replaced later with above part)

try google 'em and you'll at least see whats the sensor like...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually I know the part number and what I should buy. I just don't know how to remove the old one in order to install the new one. In fact, I may not need the new one at all particularly since it old is just pushed in a little bit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts