Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 SL 500 - Sport & Pano : 2014 E350 4Matic - Luxury : 2015 GLK 350 4Matic
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice...

Looking to either purchase the Adsitco Kit or the individual components (Seat covers, door panel, carpet etc.) from topsandseats.com anyone have any experience with those products.

Having read some of the posts concerning DIY, I am considering tackling the project myself...anyone think that is crazy to do on a 86 560SL, since I am a novice to this?

Thanks, David

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
Crazy would be dealing with adsit IMO.

·
Registered
1975 450sl 9200 La Dolce Vita. 2009 e350 gone, 2019 e400 coupe
119 Posts
Crazy would be dealing with adsit IMO.
I used topsandseats for my seat.good price I used German Auto Tops for the carpet price was good also . happy with both of them. the out come is only as good as the install. take your time. there is plenty of good info hear so look around . I found BW to be very helpful. thank you all for the help

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the "heads up" on adsit.
I am planning a week off at home and this looked like a great reason to spend a part of that in the Garage.
David

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
I used GAHH for all of my interior including carpet set, Seats, seat bads, back panels Headrests, ...was 100% satisfied with the quality and service From what I've seen in Adsit's cataloge....you bettere use some KY Jelly and bend over ....just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
Present Stable = '88 560SL ,'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, '06 LR3 HSE, and '17 Newmar Essex
1,318 Posts
A job that requires patience, and likely more than the 1 week time span your planning if a DIY job for seats, carpets and doors. Suggest you consider the condition of your existing seat back and bottom pads (OEM horsehair) as if they are worn/torn your new purchased cover sets may not fit as snug as one would expect.

Plan to have some foam on hand also in case you need to replace some of it on the pads (and note that when you pull the existing covers, either MB Tex or leather that if the pads are brittle you may need to consider replacing them), Be aware that pulling the new covers over the pads can be a very tedious job.

In my case I opted to pay a professional to cut/sew/and fit my new (MB Leather) covers and replaced the pads in the process (not suggesting you do as that's totally up to you). Also be aware the plastic headrest guides as well as those on the lower underside of the seat bottoms will likely be brittle so you'll need to be cautious when removing them from your existing covers. Be sure ask the cover supplier if they will be precut with the holes for the headrest post as I don't think all many.

Just an FYI the typical labor cost for a professional to install is usually eqiv. to the price of the covers themselves.

·
Registered
98 E320, 79 450SL AMG
27 Posts
Re did mine on two years back; considered sources you mentioned, finally decided on Heritage Trim, BC, they rebuilt/recovered the seats, covered dash, and center counsel in leather. The interior door panels and all interior plastic were re-dyed to help keep cost down. Car is our toy; not trying to make a show car.
Since we live in Seattle taking our Seats to their shop was easy. You can have them do the work or they will ship pieces for you to install.
They cut and sew right there, computer driven cutter, absolutely perfect. Before committing, we visited the shop, the owner told us if we were looking for cheap; we were at the wrong place, they are 20-30% higher than what we found from sources you mentioned.
We have had the car in two MB shows, get rave reviews on interior. Leather was not an option in 79. Shop also does MB Tex.

Rrc1944

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
I can't recommend John from German Auto Tops highly enough.

He's custom made many sets of carpets for RHD for me, have bought 5 or 6 tops of him, very happy with the quality of all of them. Have bought both MB-Tex and leather seat covers off him, very, very happy with the stock used and the quality, have bought door panel linings off him, very happy.

Haven't really used others, so can't compare, but he gets two thumbs up from me.

Ah, and HAVE been shafted by Adsit, as have many others...

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the feedback...sounds a little daunting as a DYI bonding experience with the car. May go the professional route for the interior and stick with the simple tasks that i am comfortable with, like replacing window switches, antenna etc.
David

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Thank you all for the feedback...sounds a little daunting as a DYI bonding experience with the car. May go the professional route for the interior and stick with the simple tasks that i am comfortable with, like replacing window switches, antenna etc.
David
One tip if you do decide to give it a go is to take lots of photos or even better video including verbal notes ("here is the door handle being removed, notice the oriented of the...."). It will seem a bit goofy at first but at some point you'll reference the video and be very happy you did it.

Remember, worst case is you get stuck and need professional help. Which won't cost you more than if you just have them the whole thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts