Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm sure this has been addressed before on the forums, but I'm not sure how to search for it. The interior fabric around the back window and the ceiling is drooping and coming unattached. Is there a special type of glue I can use for this? Is this a common problem?

thanks,
AH

·
Registered
Have 2000 CLK320 soft top,W210s replaced with rare'11 Turbo 9-5NG (only 500 imported) , '07 9-7x.
156 Posts
This happens to most cars after 10 years. The fabric is backed by foam that rots and crumbles over time. I removed the headliner board in my in my w210 wagon and replaced the fabric with fake suede. I found a post in this forum on how to remove headliner in this forum but mine was more difficult due to the fact that I have a wagon with more roof parts. If you do decide to replace headliner, you MUST use 1/8th inch foam backed fabric that may be difficult to find and can be expensive(mine came from some website named your online trim store).

Quick solution but not best looking that I would try first is to go to your local NAPA parts store (If in US) and ask for ultra strength headliner adhesive. Carefully pull down loose fabric where loose until straight line across, then rub rotted foam off the board with you hand. Use new paper to mask off areas you do not what glue to hit, cover seats with something and use a piece of cardboard that you will use a portable shield to keep glue from going past hanging fabric. Next spray a light well covered coat of adhesive to back of cloth and headliner board wait 30 seconds then carefully and evenly starting binding and smoothing fabric from center of where of fold where hanging. This repair may not look the best but will fix hanging fabric. I used this similar method on the black fabric on my wagon side panels. See pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 E300DT (RIP) 2001 E55
128 Posts
This happens to most cars after 10 years. The fabric is backed by foam that rots and crumbles over time. I removed the headliner board in my in my w210 wagon and replaced the fabric with fake suede. I found a post in this forum on how to remove headliner in this forum but mine was more difficult due to the fact that I have a wagon with more roof parts. If you do decide to replace headliner, you MUST use 1/8th inch foam backed fabric that may be difficult to find and can be expensive(mine came from some website named your online trim store).

Quick solution but not best looking that I would try first is to go to your local NAPA parts store (If in US) and ask for ultra strength headliner adhesive. Carefully pull down loose fabric where loose until straight line across, then rub rotted foam off the board with you hand. Use new paper to mask off areas you do not what glue to hit, cover seats with something and use a piece of cardboard that you will use a portable shield to keep glue from going past hanging fabric. Next spray a light well covered coat of adhesive to back of cloth and headliner board wait 30 seconds then carefully and evenly starting binding and smoothing fabric from center of where of fold where hanging. This repair may not look the best but will fix hanging fabric. I used this similar method on the black fabric on my wagon side panels. See pic.
Excellent caveat about the 1/8" material! The sunroof doesn't like it any thicker!

I'm going to do this replacement on both my E300 and M3 as it is starting to look like the inside of a tent in the backseat.

From what I've been reading on the BMW forums is that only a stripping/redo of the entire headliner will look right. I'd suggest a couple of well-placed thumbtacks in lieu of the spot adhesive repair you've mentioned until the weather gets warmer and it can be fixed properly.

I'm figuring by the time he disassembles trim pieces and headliner to fix individual portions, he'd be almost halfway through doing the work to get it all done?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
Mine 13 years old headliner holds just fine, but I had to replace one in the past on BMW.
I took it to local upholstery shop and it wasn't extremely expensive.
We do have several such shops in the area and they are starving for jobs. Shop around. I am pretty handy mechanic, but my tries with glue never gave satisfactory results.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Agree with Kajtek1. Mine was sagging a bit and I took it to a local auto upholstery shop. He peeled it back and glued it as a temporary measure. He didn't even charge me but asked that I return for the full job when it gets so bad I can't stand it. He charges about $200 for the complete replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts