Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 slk55 amg
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 SL has the light tan interior but the seats are starting to age and around the interior seat ajustment and door handle I have many fingernail scratches thru the tan and into the black plastic underneath.Is there a way to fix the seats perhaps with a spray and a paint or coating for the interior door handles?

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,536 Posts
My 99 SL has the light tan interior but the seats are starting to age and around the interior seat ajustment and door handle I have many fingernail scratches thru the tan and into the black plastic underneath.Is there a way to fix the seats perhaps with a spray and a paint or coating for the interior door handles?
Hi RARMSTRP from the year of your car I think your interior is nappa in Saffron-Java color so to solve at least your seat problem, if it's only a matter of discolouring you can try some specific products like this one I found on Ebay that seems to work. If instead your seats need to be redone there are some firms that sell the leather only and you can find them doing an advanced search.
As for the door handles you could try some aluminium polish and see what happens.

Cheers.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
I have the same issue, but on the oustide...

There are fingernail scratches in the paint, under the door-handle (especially on the driver's side), and I can't get a buffer under there...grrr

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
9,054 Posts

There are fingernail scratches in the paint, under the door-handle (especially on the driver's side), and I can't get a buffer under there...grrr
If you find aam's post about doorhandles they seem very easy to remove, one allen screw and they slide out which would allow you to buff out the scratches :thumbsup:

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
If you find aam's post about doorhandles they seem very easy to remove, one allen screw and they slide out which would allow you to buff out the scratches :thumbsup:
That will work very nicely! Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1987 560SL Gone but not forgotten! & 1999 SL500 For Now
745 Posts
RARMSTRP,

The coating material used by the majority of interior/upholstery shops is SEM Coatings-homepage below...

SEM Products - SEM Products

If you use their 'where to buy' feature, I'm certain you'll have several choices of suppliers near you. Suggest you use an autopaint supplier as they can do the best color matching as well as package up the coating in a 12oz srpay can.

I've used this stuff on my former car, '87 560SL, and it's terrific. Only hint/tip is to follow the prep instructions printed on the can to the letter.

Bob

·
Registered
2010 Mercedes C300
315 Posts
I have the same issue with the interior door handle scratches. It's only on the driver side and minimal but still drives me crazy. I found a mobile seat surgeon that says he can fix it. When he does that I think I'm going to have him dye my driver side leather upper seat bolster too. It's a little faded. How did you make out?

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,103 Posts
Maguire's makes a product called scratchx that will remove hairline scratches just by rubbing by hand. They used to make a wax that does the same thing, Mirror Glaze #7 but i don't know if its been replaced by the scratchx or not.

Meguiar's Direct ScratchX®.

·
Registered
2010 Mercedes C300
315 Posts
the scratches are on the inside door handle and through the interior coating just leaving the black plastic underneath.

·
Registered
N/A
178 Posts
RARMSTRP,

The coating material used by the majority of interior/upholstery shops is SEM Coatings-homepage below...

SEM Products - SEM Products

If you use their 'where to buy' feature, I'm certain you'll have several choices of suppliers near you. Suggest you use an autopaint supplier as they can do the best color matching as well as package up the coating in a 12oz srpay can.

I've used this stuff on my former car, '87 560SL, and it's terrific. Only hint/tip is to follow the prep instructions printed on the can to the letter.

Bob

i've used SEM products, good bang for the buck if you want to put the time into removing, prepping and painting. however, nothing is as good as REPLACING - so if you can find junk parts go for it. otherwise........ SEM isnt bad.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts

I usually put a dab of wax there and give it a good rub. All scratches come out every time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts