Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to retrofit an interior door handle lights in my A200 C169 (two doors only - yay!), to match the other blue LED ambient lighting in the car:

I was going to get an OEM diffuser or light lens, and even looked up a couple of part numbers, e.g. A2118201201, but it's way too big, so I will have to improvise, as I want a small diffuser or lens, about 10mm in diameter, and completely hidden behind the base of the handle.

However, I do have a question on the subject:

I need to pick an ambient light (i.e. code 58d), so that it is only illuminated, when the instrument cluster, and all the buttons are too.

Here's the wiring diagram:

It's pretty easy for the left-hand side, as there's a specific wire (marked with a rectangle).

Now, for the right-hand side, it's a bit trickier, as the main switch gets the power (pin 6 - circled), and a single data link, which I suspect tells it, when the 58d is on in the car ...

The question is: would the right side module be fully wired internally, to give out a signal on pin 4, like the left one?

And yes, I know I can just open and check, but I like to be prepared, before I start taking the trim off ;)

The part numbers are different for NS and OS, but I suspect it is more to do with the shape of the plastic case, as wiring codes are exactly the same for N69/1 and N69/2, as are the plugs:

Really hope someone has looked into this before, and knows the answer, since the guesswork approach is unlikely to help ... :grin

PS I'm posting this in the W245 forum, as it sees much more traffic, than the W169.
Once completed, I'll post a final brief write-up there too.

·
Outstanding Contributor
A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, it's all done now :grin

Firstly, to answer my own question: YES, the [fully optioned] door modules are pinned regardless of the side, i.e. N69/1 and N69/2 are essentially identical, apart from the casing, and upon checking the pins 4 & 9 as illustrated above, I was happy to see that, the signal (58d) and ground were present on the driver's side, even though the plug for the switch don't have the contacts for these:

Of course to get to that, the door card needs to come out:

So, to get the signal, all I had to do, is fit two extra female pins into the plug (green and green/black wires here - pins 4 & 9):

And then, route the new wires along the existing harness:

The left (passenger) side was easy - the wires are already there for the windows switch illumination, so just a splice:

LEDs (blue diffused 3mm) fitted:

The end result - lights come on with the rest of instrument illumination, I'm happy with the look too:

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
7,724 Posts
I had a strange feeling that you might have to solve this one "on your own"...but still, a fantastic look...

Thanks for sharing this detailed work again..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts