Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the backlight on my temperature control display does not light up at night[:(!]...how much work is this to fix and what is the cost???

can i do this myself?? all the other stuff works on the display.

·
Registered
CLK320
945 Posts
it might be just one of the bulbs in your cluster. Do a search in this forum on cluster removal or cluster bulbs to get info on what you will need to do to get the cluster out. You will also need the cluster removal tools, these can be found on eBay for about $20 US.

Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Chris,

After following someone's suggestion that I "make" some hook tools from a coat hanger and fighting with the cluster for half and hour, I gave up and asked my mechanic to remove it. He did so just like that (snap) and left it loose for me to remove and find the lamps that needed replacing.

There's a bunch of them back there and my temp. display was one that needed replacing also. The lamps from the dealer are inexpensive and very easy to replace. I pulled the two plugs from the back (also very easy to do) and took the whole instrument cluster into the parts counter.

Upon reinstalling the cluster, I added a bit of lube to the points (two top, two Bottom) where the cluster is pressed in - rubber on the cluster and metal spring clips inside the hole.

Perhaps a friendly fellow at the dealer will snap out the cluster for you. The rest is easy.

Brian - Yakima, WA
2000 E320

1 - 3 of 3 Posts