Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fan of the SL's. The only problem is that I am 6 foot 3 inches tall, and tend to find the current sl a little uncomfortable. If I adjust the seat for comfortable leg room, the back of the seat is to straight up. I was wondering if the little storage compartment behind the seat could be altered to provide adequate travel for the back of the seat. Or, does anyonr know if the new one will have more interior room. Please help

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a related question. But, first, to respond to yours, I, too, am tall -- 6'6' -- and so far haven't come up with a solution to the limited seat travel in the SL. I simply can't fit in one. (The new one, I've been told, has two more inches of travel, which should do the trick, assuming you're prepared to sit on a waiting list for two years.)<br> <br> However, the basic problem with the present model is that the OEM seat is positioned in relationship to the airbags and automatic roll-over protection system. If seat's position is somehow altered from the factory specs, it's possible that the roll bar would strike you in the back of your head with incredible force, thus ruining you whole day. <br> <br> I've had this discussion with a major aftermarket seat manufacturer's representative. I wanted to buy an aftermarket seat which wasn't as 'thick' as the OEM seat, and thus would recline further before coming in contact with the shelf behind the seat. Once the company's rep realized what I envisioned -- replacing the OEM seat with one of their's in an SL -- they would no longer sell me the seat. As for altering the area behind the seat, that's not an option: the shelf behind the seat is a structural member that is part of the unibody itself. <br> <br> However, considering the fact that the present model is going for fire-sale prices, if someone has come up with a solution for the 'height-unchallenged', I'd sure like to read about it here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts