Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 91 500 Sl left side tie rod was popping as I turned the wheel. I decided to replace it so I began calling around. Advanced Auto wanted $21.00 for each tie rode end, Auto zone wanted $22.00 for the outer and $32.00 for the inner.
Pep Boys wanted $52.00 each and special order.

These were not a bad price but were special order an would not arrive until the 12 of Jan. So I looked on line, Mercedes Benz of Ft. Lauderdale had the outer tie rod, $24.96 and the inner for $24.18 and the whole tie rode assembly for $60.84 plus shipping, not wanting to weight I called Mercedes of Tampa. They didn’t sell either tie rod end just the whole tie rod assembly for $103.00??? I said I could get it from Mercedes Benz of Ft. Lauderdale $60.84 plus shipping he then said he would sell the assembly for $89.00 and explained that different dealers had different prices for their parts, something I was not aware of. BEWHARE of pricing. Also I’m not affiliated with any of the merchants above

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just replaced my left side tie rod end. Just the inner bushing was bad, however, Mercedes Benz of Ft. Lauderdale told me they didnt just sell the inner. That I would have to buy the inner, outer and center for $91.00. I bought it (part was in stock) and asked the local Firestone how much labor would cost, at which time they told me 4 hours. I asked to speak to the manager (they know me in this Firestone as always asking for the manager and refusing to be ripped off). The manager asked to have my 500 SL put on the lift and see for himself how much time it would take. After looking at it, he changed it to .9 hours which is $85.00 What a big difference. Hundreds of dollars difference actually. Anyway, they did the work and a required alignment ($59.00 w/ coupon) for about $150.00. I probably could have done it myself but I didn't think the labor and product pricing was too bad. After recently buying new Continental tires on after taking advantage of Tirerack.com's Continental tire promotion, the car rides bettter than it ever has since I've owned it.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Thats what He said!!!! Is there a problem? I just put a new set of Continental tires on My truck, They are by far the best tires I have had on it since new!!!!! I have had ALL the BIG NAME tires on it and these are VERY NICE TIRES!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just replaced my left side tie rod end. Just the inner bushing was bad, however, Mercedes Benz of Ft. Lauderdale told me they didnt just sell the inner. That I would have to buy the inner, outer and center for $91.00. I bought it (part was in stock) and asked the local Firestone how much labor would cost, at which time they told me 4 hours. I asked to speak to the manager (they know me in this Firestone as always asking for the manager and refusing to be ripped off). The manager asked to have my 500 SL put on the lift and see for himself how much time it would take. After looking at it, he changed it to .9 hours which is $85.00 What a big difference. Hundreds of dollars difference actually. Anyway, they did the work and a required alignment ($59.00 w/ coupon) for about $150.00. I probably could have done it myself but I didn't think the labor and product pricing was too bad. After recently buying new Continental tires on after taking advantage of Tirerack.com's Continental tire promotion, the car rides bettter than it ever has since I've owned it.
question, what were the tell tale symptoms that told you it was time to replace them anyway

·
Registered
931 Posts
Firestone is notorious for this kind of nonsense...at least here is California. I firmly believe gouging is tolerated, if not encouraged with a wink from corporate. It's certainly been too prevalent to be a conincidence, IMHO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Serious?

Thats what He said!!!! Is there a problem? I just put a new set of Continental tires on My truck, They are by far the best tires I have had on it since new!!!!! I have had ALL the BIG NAME tires on it and these are VERY NICE TIRES!!!
I just cant imagine putting those tires on an extreme sports car! This aint a Buick!! I got a 3/4 ton truck and run BFGs on that too. I just cant imagine running those tires on either of my vehicles. Its my personal preference Mr DRAGS!!!!:p

·
Registered
745 Posts
I just cant imagine putting those tires on an extreme sports car! This aint a Buick!! I got a 3/4 ton truck and run BFGs on that too. I just cant imagine running those tires on either of my vehicles. Its my personal preference Mr DRAGS!!!!:p
I do not think he is running 'truck' Continentals per se - i would imagine they are Conti-sport or the like..!
Continental make more than just truck tyres - they do much testing with MB and are used as OEM tyres on many of the models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts