Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering has been tight and trouble free for about a year now. (After I adjusted the bolt on the gearbox) But now it seems, that the steering seems to loosen up everytime I hit a sharp pothole. I get under the hood, tighten it up again, (Dosent seem too tight, as the steering wheel still snaps back to center after letting go of it.) and lo and behold, after hitting another pothole it goes loose again. Im near the end of the adjustment on the box, and dont want to shell out the 500+ Dollars to get a rebuilt unit. BTW, I replaced tie-rod ends and ball joints all around to get some slop out.

·
Registered
84 300td, 80 450sl
39 Posts
Had a similar problem. After replacing the motor mounts on my 84 300td the steering stayed tight. Also made the car idle much smoother. If you look at you mounts they may still have alot of rubber but may actually be shot. When I pulled out the old ones they had compressed over 1 1/2 inches. The mounts are cheap on eaby and make a huge difference. Good luck, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
E220 1994
72 Posts
I also got th same feeling that the idle got smoother after I replace one engine mount. I wonder why? HOwever, the steering squeak seems lounder!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts