Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is very interesting what shows up on the roads when the snow and ice comes out. Sometimes it is to keep the good stuff in the driveway, sometimes it is because it is the best thing to drive on snow. And sometimes it is just still rolling on.

I live in a pretty import friendly town. Had one of the very first Toyota Dealers in the nation, same with Mercedes and VW. They have been selling Honda's here since they first hit US shores.

I have not seen ANY early seventies or late sixties of those wandering around [other than a couple of very nice flat windshield bugs].

Wonder how many 40 year old daily driver Toyota and Hondas there are out there?

This is a 66ish Pontiac Catalina. The motor sounded strong as an ox and it tracked very well. The smack on the back was the only damage on this very original car.

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
Anytime I see someone driving a car that old, I give them the :thumbsup:

Often nowadays it's some 20-yr-old, which I think is doubly cool--their car is twice as old as they are!

·
Banned
8,498 Posts
Anytime I see someone driving a car that old, I give them the :thumbsup:

Often nowadays it's some 20-yr-old, which I think is doubly cool--their car is twice as old as they are!
Talking about old things, Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm 64? :eek:

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
It's a '65 Pontiac Catalina.

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
Next time y'all get some extra money in your town, start putting the utilities underground. It makes all the difference in how attractive your streetscapes are, and offers the added benefit of not losing power every time there's a storm.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Ha that's funny because on the way in to work this morning I did a holy shit look at that.... while I was passing a very good shape however well worn 65 or 66 Ford falcon

geeezzz the guy driving it had to be all of 70 plus years old and running right along at 65mph in the snow!

I say 70 plus because when we stop at the stop light I got a good look at him
all white hair, no teeth, more wrinkles on his hands than..... I won't say what and he could just barely see over the sheepskin covered steering wheel.

I need to get another camera just to keep in my new truck...

·
Premium Member
5,924 Posts
Next time y'all get some extra money in your town, start putting the utilities underground. It makes all the difference in how attractive your streetscapes are, and offers the added benefit of not losing power every time there's a storm.
Excellent point. Lex found that out a few years after this stretch was built. For the most part, other than this road, and a stretch of eastern New Circle Rd., the utilities are where they should be and it's a very pretty town.

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a '65 Pontiac Catalina.
I tried to nail it down to 65-66 but all the pix that i could find did not have the nice chrome rear trim between the rear lights. That is what kept throwing me off.

And apparently the coupes had double lights.

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All that nice limestone that works with the dirt to make the horses so strong here also makes the idea of underground utilities pretty much a impossibility for all retrofits.

Some of the new areas are getting them but the cost of digging through solid limestone appears to be more than they want to deal with.

And we have only had two important power losses in this area in the past decade so that part is not bad. Ever year or so we get a couple of hours out event but the ice storm or 75MPH wind storms are few and far between.

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
Fascinating that there's so much limestone and that it's so near the surface! Why is the damn stuff so expensive then? (I know, it's the labor to extract, finish & transport..)

Do the houses not have basements then?

In Arlington, Virginia, much progress was made in 'undergrounding' the utilities and the streets became vastly more attractive. But then the liberal do-good types (you know the kind) said we had to stop spending money on that when there were more social services to be provided.

About which, more anon... ;)

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fascinating that there's so much limestone and that it's so near the surface! Why is the damn stuff so expensive then? (I know, it's the labor to extract, finish & transport..)

Do the houses not have basements then?

In Arlington, Virginia, much progress was made in 'undergrounding' the utilities and the streets became vastly more attractive. But then the liberal do-good types (you know the kind) said we had to stop spending money on that when there were more social services to be provided.

About which, more anon... ;)
Many housed don't have basements or are built on the hilly sections which usually have 8-15 feet of dirt before hitting rock.

When I was digging my privacy fence on the previous house I ended up having to jackhammer in six of the holes on a 270 ft run as the stone was coming up too close.

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
First time I ever noticed a resemblance between a Corvair and a Jensen Interceptor!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts