Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 e320 4matic.
All electrical systems work fine until I turn on my lights. When I turn on my lights, I then lose use of windows, wipers, rear defrost, seats, and a few other things. Sunroof still works, lights, heat and radio work fine. Even if I turn the lights off or the car off, nothing works still. I can remove every fuse under the hood or the rear seat and also tried removing the ones on the left by the light switch. Still nothing until...
If I disconnect the battery from the car and then reattach it, everything works until I turn on the lights again.
Thanks

· Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,798 Posts
Hi, ovedro, welcome to the forum. Please click the User CP link and complete your BW profile re: vehicle and location as that is often useful information.

Assuming your charging system is working okay, what comes to mind is a bad or corroded ground connection. There are at least two primary ones under the hood (several wires come to them, one under the airbox, the other over by the windshield washer bottle), plus one to the engine (visible from underneath, look along the engine/transmission joint) and the one in the battery bay. Someone else recently was having problems that turned out to be a bad ground connection.

Hope that helps, at least it gives you something to keep you busy. :)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best thought but no dice yet

Thanks Greg.
That is the most logical reason but have not been able to confirm it yet. I found the 2 under the hood but havent been able to get under the car yet. Neither looks to be in bad shape and the one under the seat looks good. Is there a fuse that I could pull somewhere that would effectively do what pulling the battery does?
THanks
Oved

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found the issue but need the part

Hi Greg
I had posted this on another forum and found how to fix the issue without disconnecting the battery. By unplugging the 16 fuse under the hood, it resets something after about 10 minutes. THe person said the drivers door controller but am having a hard time finding what that exactly is.
Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.