Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't think I've seen this one before.
Out of either Arkansas or Oklahoma, as far as I can tell.
They do mobile tower systems.

Pretty nice - wonder who built it ?

Attachments

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,643 Posts
Is that the truck out of the estate in Chicago?

C.

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,643 Posts
He has some nice MRAP wheel Adapters....

C.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
huh - guess I missed that.
I was in the wild outback of western CO for two months in Feb/Mar 2012 :)

And to think it started life within 100 miles of me...

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
That truck was built on the base of the White U1550L that was for sale in Alaska, some years ago.
The owner, unfortunately, died in the crash of of his experimental plane.
The information I have, which I'll say is reliable, is that he ignored all of the realities
Of the flexible UNIMOG frame,and proceeded to have the van body built on the U1550L chassis , without the proper engineering.
I do note a Gap between the Factory DOKA roof line, and the extension....Still,I believe the source that said that the flexible frame was basically ignored during the build.

I like the look, and the external service boxes, as on my Blue "head wound box" are very functional, whether on
A service truck or a camper. Having external access to surfing gear,tents, firewood, tools, stoves, and all
Of the stuff one would want while showing up at a site and wanting to cook and camp is beneficial .
It depends on how you camp, but if you live , cook and eat outside (weather permitting ), then, being able to
Access and pull out the necessary items from externally accessible compartments at chin level is the ticket....
If everything has to come in/out of the single elevated camper door , it becomes like an Ant Farm, with a number of trips -Through the same opening for everything...and the same to pack up and leave....and if it
Is wet and raining, all of a sudden, then your " safe warm box" gets crammed with wet, dirty stuff, which you walk on to Get up into the warm zone...
Boogie boards full of sand, wetsuits, wet rain gear...better OUTside in boxes, than inside where you sleep.
Plus, it provides for hours of playing the organize and re-organize game...." Which side of the truck should
This be on ? Curb side so if I need it in town, I don't need to stand in traffic, or what ? Plenty of entertainment.

It all depends on how you camp ( or work ). How much is inside, and how much is outside. Personally, it is ALL Outside ( which is why I drove there...), except for sleeping or weather. Sleeping outside is still preferable...
As long as the hyenas, lions and that stuff are at bay- Not big threats in North America,from my experience...

Although , while core-drilling in Alaska, I was warned about Mosquitos that " could rape a Turkey- flat-footed".
I apologize for the indiscretion, but accuracy wins out.

·
Registered
U1550L/37 Doka, U1700L/38, Merc 1017A
1,563 Posts
That truck was built on the base of the U1550L that was for sale in Alaska, some years ago.
The owner, unfortunately, died in the crash of of his experimental plane.
The information I have, which I believe to be reliable, is that he ignored all of the realities
Of the flexible UNIMOG frame,and proceeded to have the van body built on the U1550L
Chassis , without the proper engineering.
But, I do note a Gap between the Factory DOKA roof line, and the extension....

Still,I believe the source that Said that the flexible frame was basically ignored during the build.

i wonder why the plane crashed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Well, we all exit, one way or another
Who knows ?
He left when he did, but we are all on the same circuit, we check out of the hotel , ready
Or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
re

Here are three pics I took of it in front of a liquor store in Fayetteville, AR in may. Needless to say I was stunned to pull up and see it that night. The grand Cherokee parked in front of it looks like a yugo.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,763 Posts
It's a massive truck for sure but the question remains, what happens the first time it articulates. I suspect we may hear some bad noises and watch some kick boxes in the back start to buckle.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Yep- I hope not, but it sounds likely.
When you consider that a SBU will buckle the cowl
Sheet metal , just by driving around with the Cab Tilt
Brackets locked, and the cowl is only a couple of feet
From the pivots.... Well, there is a lot more leverage
Available from the seats aft, so I think things are
Destined to get bent.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,128 Posts
Funny you mention it. I was just asked the other day why my cab wasn't "bolted up" and the fellow was pointing to the cab tilt brackets. I think I should have my wife sew little covers for them, so some friendly samaritan doesn't hook them when I'm parked someplace doing a favor for me...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yep- I hope not, but it sounds likely.
When you consider that a SBU will buckle the cowl
Sheet metal , just by driving around with the Cab Tilt
Brackets locked, and the cowl is only a couple of feet
From the pivots.... Well, there is a lot more leverage
Available from the seats aft, so I think things are
Destined to get bent.
I warned the owner of u1200 about this and he thought I was out of my mind. Saw the same truck a year later and they were still latched. I guess the buckled sheet metal wasn't enough to convince him.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Green Doka

More pics or this truck. Looks well built. Not sure how the frame is supposed to flex. Maybe it isn't or I'm missing something.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1991 U1550L37, 2019 G550
2,023 Posts
Love the labeling on the 4WD air switch. 4 low, really?
That plus the obvious flex issue doesn't make me trust the rest of the work.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts